S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

New Headers... What To Buy?????

Old 07-31-2002, 09:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the dc sports header with stock exhaust, no noise difference just smoother vtec and acceleration, and weight loss of 10lbs vs stock.
12lbs vs 22 lbs.

the heaviest 10lbs difference that I have ever felt.

the stock header is very sloppy welding when it comes to the transition of the runners, very short and choppy vs dc sports.
My opinion.
Old 07-31-2002, 09:36 AM

Originally posted by SECRET AP1

Even still, in comparison to 4-1 header designs, the Spoon header wouldn't be much of a top end competitor unless [say] the Comptech header had really tiny runners (which is unlikely).
Very true. But 4-1 headers give up ALL SEMBLANCE of low end for complete top end. They also give you more of the exhaust burps (those are just too cool )

IS THE COMPTECH 4-1!!!??? I have not seen anyone running it yet? No dynos... No nothing!!
Old 07-31-2002, 04:15 PM

HKS also has a 4-1 design...
But someone actually lost power with it before...do a search cause i asked about title "HKS Headers" before....

So anyone has a Spoon header with a Twin-Muffler set up, who can confirm high end gains? Butt impressions welcome even..hehehe
Old 07-31-2002, 04:30 PM

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...?threadid=38903

Check out this old thread...has feedback from those who have had experience with Both headers...
Spoon headers supposedly make power below 5000rpm and then above 7000rpm...
Old 07-31-2002, 05:24 PM

Originally posted by KIDS2000
HKS also has a 4-1 design...
But someone actually lost power with it before...do a search cause i asked about title "HKS Headers" before....

So anyone has a Spoon header with a Twin-Muffler set up, who can confirm high end gains? Butt impressions welcome even..hehehe
If someone wants to donate their Spoon header I will volunteer.
Old 07-31-2002, 08:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A few comments:

1. The Mugen header does not make any top end power, and in more than one case (including my car, which was dyno'd on the same day before and after header install) will lose 1-2 hp at peak and a little more after that. However, the tradeoff is a nice gain from as low as 3000 rpm. The gain is most pronounced between 5000 and 7000 rpm. From 7k-8k the Mugen closely mirrors stock.

2. Every Spoon header I've dyno'd has shown a characteristic dip in torque and power at 7000 rpm. This is quite pronounced and corresponds to a rich spot in the A/F curve indicating perhaps some power sapping reversion, or just not enough scavenging. This can be partially cured with some VAFC tuning, but the dip still remains (just not as bad). From 7000 to 8000 the Spoon shows some o.k. gains, but its biggest benefit is after 8000 rpm, particularly after the power peak at 8300 rpm where it holds on to the power curve better, not falling off as quick as stock.

3. From my side by side measurements of the Mugen and stock header with calipers, the Mugen does not have a smaller internal diameter. Its possible the outside diameter is smaller, but that would be because the stock header has a dual wall (read thick) design to retain heat for catalytic converter lightoff (and helps quell some of the mechanical tinny noise too).

Which header is best for you depends. Both Spoon and Mugen seem to have developed all of their products to work in concert, so if you choose one product from them, you might as well try them all (this is not to say that a single exhaust won't work well with the Mugen, or vice-versa). I find the Mugen to be beneficial both on the street and on the track. The latter may seem counter intuitive, but the place where I find the S2000 lacking most on the track isn't in top end pull, but in pulling out of slower speed, lower rpm corners right on the cusp of the VTEC transition. On faster tracks the advantage might shift to the Spoon header.

I suggest you get what pleases you most, and be sure and tune it with a VAFC if you don't have the appropriate brand ECU.

UL
Old 08-01-2002, 08:36 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ultimate lurker
[B]A few comments:

Old 08-01-2002, 04:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, kind of interesting on the diameter thing, isn't it?

I hadn't heard about the Labor Day meet, didn't see anything here. Where's it announced at? I'd be happy to do a dyno day then if there is interest. Although if you need tuning a dyno day really isn't the place (not enough time).

If you would like to do something before then, I'm open 7 days a week by appointment, so just PM me or call at 310-787-7123.

UL
Old 08-03-2002, 10:50 AM

Mugen's header/exhaust are developed for mid-range power so you will not achieve a go dyno # off this unit but for street driving (street), it is a pretty good setup. Spoon's setup offers more peak power which is developed for track users or aggressive street drivers (street/track).

There are also a lot of different makers who manufacture headers like DC....etc. We have tested on the track and doing a lot of UPHILL/DOWNHILL (winding roads) DC header response was POOR and power gains are very minimal IMO. Mugen has a great setup but for longer straights and hi-rpm responses Spoon sure really does do the work better.

Old 08-03-2002, 10:11 PM

damn you all..i was gonna get mugens...im leaning towards spoon now....even dispite my twin muffler set-up...
cause from what i gather it will help 1/4 mile times which is one of my aims....
are the spoo headers compatible with the standard header-heat shield?

Quick Reply: New Headers... What To Buy?????