S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

New Headers... What To Buy?????

Old 07-28-2002, 05:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by KIDS2000
If you are going Spoon better match it with a single muffler set-up...
If you have a twin muffler set up better go with the mugen...
why is that?

i'm curious to know why people say the Spoon header has a better top end gain (haven't seen any dynos). i would think that with the 4-2-1 design on both Spoon & Mugen header, a single muffler setup would be perfect.
Old 07-28-2002, 05:35 PM

If you are going Spoon better match it with a single muffler set-up...
If you have a twin muffler set up better go with the mugen...
my thoughts exactly.
Old 07-30-2002, 06:20 PM

i dont think anyone is posting on this topic anymore but i thought i'd tell you guys i will be getting the whole spoon sports set-up the headers and the n1 exhaust. so thanks for all your help guys ! ill post some pics of it when i get them put on ! thanks .
Old 07-30-2002, 08:08 PM

Originally posted by SECRET AP1

why is that?

i'm curious to know why people say the Spoon header has a better top end gain (haven't seen any dynos). i would think that with the 4-2-1 design on both Spoon & Mugen header, a single muffler setup would be perfect.

Mugen header has 46mm primary runners (smaller than stock!!!)
Spoon has 48 or 49mm primary runners (equal to or slightly bigger.... can't remember)

They both have the same equal length 4-2-1 design... the Mugen gets the midrange because of the smaller diameter piping.

Single after cat muffler setup would be ideal for power (obviously) but LOUD.

If I had to do it all over again, I would get the Spoon header but stick with the Mugen exhaust. My wussy ears can't take the Spoon exhaust with the silencer removed. My .02
Old 07-30-2002, 09:14 PM

go to clubs north texas, and you will see our dyno days.

I am the white S2000 '02. 200.6 hp to the wheels and 140.6 ft lbs of torque. My set up: IAEM CAI, DC Sports SS header and RM racing exhaust, spoon stat and switch and the hondata insulator, tb by-pass. I have a full exhaust and the blue S has an aem cai only and pulled .4 hp more, he has denso iridiums and I don't. My chart looks smoother as far as tranisitions. around 3750 is where you will see a bump up and then down, that was a characteristic of the AEM CAi. Very interesting to see the different set ups and results.

One that was most interesting was a yellow S with 1400 miles, he cut the mufflers off and open the airbox and pulled his highest run on that one with a reset ecu.

No I did not dyno the stock system before and then after with the set up mentioned above on my car.

I know that acceleration has picked up with saving around 30 lbs in weight.

I have not lost power like many of mentioned, I have made power gains and weight loss = fast car= better acceleration, this is all from observation.

Next is installing the APexi VAFC + dyno tunning and getting a bored out TB. I know that this will get some more to the wheels.
Old 07-30-2002, 09:14 PM

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...&threadid=73976
Old 07-30-2002, 09:17 PM

my car sounds awesome! many compliments. also I pieced this set up together dc sports header and rm exhaust 750.00 all parts shipped to me, all were used for a short period of time and looded brand new when I got them.
Old 07-31-2002, 03:49 AM

RWD_RCKT,
For the benefit of us please tell us what would make you decide to get the spoon header over the mugen header u currently have to match your mugen exhaust?
Old 07-31-2002, 08:43 AM

RWD_RCKT,
For the benefit of us please tell us what would make you decide to get the spoon header over the mugen header u currently have to match your mugen exhaust?
My driving style is basically the need. The Spoon does not gain any power below VTEC... everything is above VTEC... where I am.

The Mugen is great for around town driving... less gear changes... easier to bog the motor to get better gas mileage.

Have you ever heard the rumor of the Mugen LOSING power at the top end? The midrange gain is so pronounced (especially due to the fact that it happens around VTEC transition) that you feel like the power drops off. It levels out to just around stock (1hp gain... or noise on the dyno in my opinion), but it feels like it drops off because of the midrange gain. It is hard to explain... did anything I say make sense?
Old 07-31-2002, 09:03 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RWD_RCKT
[B]

Mugen header has 46mm primary runners (smaller than stock!!!)
Spoon has 48 or 49mm primary runners (equal to or slightly bigger.... can't remember)

They both have the same equal length 4-2-1 design... the Mugen gets the midrange because of the smaller diameter piping.

Quick Reply: New Headers... What To Buy?????