S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

New glove fit console cover design finalized, production begins Wednesday or Thursday

Old 04-14-2002 | 04:23 PM
Former Sponsor

Default New glove fit console cover design finalized, production begins Wednesday or Thursday

We tested the new tape- and snap-less console cover design this weekend and we are thrilled with the way it works. It fits like a glove, and we're calling it the Glove Fit Console Cover. For the life of me, I don't know why we or Honda didn't think of it in the first place. Credit goes to Jim Schmidt for the idea.

This creates a look very similar to the cover Honda provides on 2002s, but, of course, without the appearance of those unattractive snaps. This new mounting method will also make it easy to slip this beautiful leather piece right over the stock 2002 vinyl cover.

The new design features plastic strips sewn along the bottom of both sides. These fold over along the bottom of the leather and slip up between the stock cover and the transmission tunnel, making for a very tight fit. The leather bends around the bottom of the stock cover, making for a seamless, glove-like appearance.

We fit three prototype covers, one in black, a combo red/black, and a combo silver/black with perforted sides.

These will go into production on Wednesday or Thursday, after we work out a few final production steps. Those who have been patiently waiting while we worked out this design (thank you!) will have theirs produced first. New orders will then be filled.

All covers will be available with the S2000 or Classic Honda script logo embroidered near the head unit door.

As we noted in an earlier post, we will also retrofit our early tape version with this new attachment method. We don't have a cost yet, but it will be very modest (our goal is to keep it under $30). We'll start taking retro fit orders in a few weeks.

My close up photos of the black cover were out of focus, so I can't show any photos, but the seam between the top and sides is also new, and replicates the seam around the edges of the seats ( the combo red and silver covers pictured have the old seam).

Here are some photos. Please note that these are prototypes and the sewing is a little uneven in spots. The production versions will have none of these inconsistencies.

Jim holds one of the plastic strips.

Here's a cover with the strip sewn on. Notice that the leater along the bottom is not finished. that's because it folds around and between the stock cover between the transmission tunnel, creating a leather edge along the bottom.

Some shots of Jim mountiing the red/black combo (it looked damned good in his all black car, BTW).

First, rough alignment.

Then, checking the aligment all along the top.

Jim pulls away the side of the stock carpet cover and begins slipping the plastic up between it and the transmission tunnel.

Working from both sides from the back to the front, the trim fit begins to take shape.

Once both sides are fit, the top is stetched over the metal tab, a slit cut, and the top fit over the tab. This helps keep it taut along the top.

The top is snapped back on and voila, a glove fit.

Old 04-14-2002 | 04:24 PM
Former Sponsor

Here are some more photos to show the taut fit.

The perfed side of the silver/black

Old 04-14-2002 | 04:45 PM

looks great rick!
Old 04-14-2002 | 04:53 PM

It looks great...patiently waiting for the retro fit! After 6 months I get to install my console cover and shift boot! (ordered back in October but procrastinated to install--glad I waited)
Old 04-14-2002 | 06:12 PM
acx

Rick, it looks really good!

Does the cover wrap behind the seats like other designs I have seen?

I like the idea of not seeing any carpet between the seats, so I would really like it if it wrapped behind the seats.

TIA
Old 04-14-2002 | 07:05 PM

That looks great! Will the cost be $125 for solid and $130 for combo ?
Old 04-14-2002 | 07:11 PM

That is Tight.........can't wait for mine
Old 04-14-2002 | 09:27 PM

As always, Rick -- very nice! I think I'll have to go for a retrofit myself, though I am not unhappy with the current adhesive model.
Old 04-14-2002 | 09:57 PM

yeah, retrofit
Old 04-15-2002 | 03:36 AM
Former Sponsor

s2kbug,

Prices do not change, so whatever is on the web site will stay the same.

acx,

Although we have discussed this at length with other owners and think it is unecessary (since it largely doesn't show) a wrap around option is being developed and will be offered once we get caught up with current orders.

Quick Reply: New glove fit console cover design finalized, production begins Wednesday or Thursday