S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

New Exhaust Write-up and Pics

Old 09-10-2007, 02:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post New Exhaust Write-up and Pics

I'd been kicking around the idea of buying a new exhaust for some time now. And like many, my requirements dictated that I get something fairly inexpensive (for me, under $1,000.00), dual and mellow-sounding. No screaming banshees for me, thanks. Again, like many, this meant going with a Fujitsubo; however, I was really curious to see what else fit into this category. Of course, many will say HKS, but for one reason or another I ended up hearing about the Tanabe Medallion Touring. It looked very similar to the Fujitsubo, so I decided what-the-hey, and I picked one up.

I purchased it from iptuned.com and it arrived in about 8 to 10 days.

It took a buddy and me about an hour to install (thankfully, we had the use of an automotive lift at our job; all I had to do was come in at 5:00am on a Saturday).

Build quality on this exhaust is excellent. The exhaust is a very handsom piece, which is great, considering the cost (the last dual exhaust I purchased and installed was a Gibson exhaust for my Dodge Dakota about 8 years ago for about $350.00). However, unlike my old Gibson, this exhaust bolted right up and fit perfectly without ANY adjustment. The pictures you see below required absolutely no pipe-heating, bending or even fiddling with the bolts. I literally bolted it straight on the way you see below: amazing. My old Gibson took about 45 minutes to get the pipes looking like they weren't cross-eyed.

The sound was initially very very deep and low. Like, almost a constant droning; however, now that I have a couple hundred miles on it, it's smoothed out quite nicely. I'd imagine that's due to a lot of the sound deadening packed into the muffler burning in a bit (oh yeah, the first hundred miles or so, this baby will smoke; but that seems pretty common with a new exhaust). The droning has since subsided and now I get a nice deep tone that's similar to stock, but a bit more aggressive and louder. A guy at my work drives big diesel trucks and V8 cars and even he said it sounded bitchin'. At idle, I'd venture to say it's identical to stock, but when you get on it, it really opens up and lets rip. All the while though, it maintaines a deep, rich tone. Again, no screaming banshees here.

Of course, no installation of anything can go 100% as planned, and this was no different; though admittedly, this is probably one of the easiest things I've ever installed. My S2000 is a MY2005. The rear canisters have hangers towards the front of the car and rear. The rear hangers on my canisters are triangular in shape: 2-prongs on the canisters, one prong on the hanger just behind the rear bumper. The Tanabe canisters came with single prongs on the canisters. I simply used the hangers by only utilizing two of the three holes; no biggie, but not exactly the way it seems it should be. I'll probably go down to the dealer and buy a couple regular two-hole hangers in the future.

Also, IMO, the tips are a tad big. I would have liked them to have been closer to the stock size. Other than that, all is well.

Fin.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice looking exhaust. Is there any droning on the highway? Thanks for the review.
Old 09-10-2007, 04:04 PM

Thanks for the compliment.

Like I said, there's a little bit of a drone, but it's been fading as (I believe) the sound deadening material they pack into the muffler burns in and settles. However, yes, at certain throttle positions it's quite noticeable.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:53 PM

Nice I want this exhaust.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That looks great. The tips are JUST the right size. Great looking Suzuka!

Good write up. Would love to hear a sound clip.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks great! I would still kill for more oval tip alternatives for AP2s, but it seems like a great choice.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by sprix!,Sep 10 2007, 09:40 PM
Looks great! I would still kill for more oval tip alternatives for AP2s, but it seems like a great choice.
Exactly! I would MUCH rather have oval tips. But these are growing on me.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tanabe always makes Excellent Products!
Old 09-11-2007, 03:23 AM

Thanks for making MY exhaust decision much harder... I was leaning towards HKS, but now I want your exhaust... To me the bigger tips look just right.

Nice car pics too... Thanks!
Old 09-11-2007, 05:49 AM

I have the HKS and although I LOVE the sound of it, I'd have to say I prefer the look of yours.
Very nice looking exhaust you got there.
I'd love to hear one in person.
Enjoy.

Dan

Quick Reply: New Exhaust Write-up and Pics