S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

New Driver Questions

Old 06-29-2009, 07:13 AM

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I am 21... I did not get my first car until less than a year ago. Until then I borrowed my moms Olds then Civic or either of my grandparents cars (odyssey and accord) when I needed a car. I am generally considered by my family and friends to have been very responsible for my age all through HS. Even with that said I would not trust the 17yr old me with an S2k. They are not very forgiving and there is a lot of temptation. Plus I come from the school of theought that while still a teen one should either have a beater or have to just borrow parents cars. This helps you appreciate the PRIVELEDGE of driving and keeps temptation down.

My first car was an 03 Acura RSX-S and I loved that car so much because it was mine and it was sporty and I paid for it myself. When it got totaled (I got hit, not my fault) My Fiance had just bought a buick centrury so We had the practical car covered so we decided to get the S2k. But again none of this was until I turned 21 and I am greatful for it.

If you do get the S (or any other less for giving sporty car) I HIGHLY recommend that you either get out to a few track days or a few Autocrosses and have an instructor help you out. It will teach you a lot about the limits of the car and how to control it. Even if you get something more forgiving like the BMW, id still recommend it because it does make you a better driver.
Old 07-01-2009, 10:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AgentDSS,Jan 17 2002, 06:43 PM
Hi,

I'm 16 years old and in 5 mo. when I'm 17, I'm getting a car. I know what your thinking...teenager + S2K = hell no. Well, I just wanted to ask a few questions. I got a test "ride" in a Sebring S2K at Ourisman Honda in Bethesda, MD. The guy was really nice, and was willing to let me drive, even though I'm not 18 (I've never used a manual, so did not feel comfortable). OMG, that ride was so fun, he was speeding like crazy to show it off, and I was more than impressed. Though most of you will be surprised, the S2K's price (incd. a little dealer overpricing) in within my range for a new car. My parents are aware of my interest in the car but have not said much. I was wondering if you guys could give me information on the car's safety. I saw that some guy flipped one on the board, and survived without major injury, which is amazing.
I'm 6' 1" and a somewhat large build and did not get a chance to sit in the driver's seat, but felt "kinda" cramped in the passenger and had enough leg room. Is the driver's side have more space? Is the transition from automatic driving to manual a very large experience? I'm a little familiar w/ manual but never actually driven a manual car. The car would mainly be used for driving to school and weekend fun stuff. I consider myself responsible and would not be encouraged to break the law.....that much. I know what's reasonable and what's safe. Do you guys think a 2 seater is too little for a high school student? I know my friends will probably be pissed, until they get their cars, cuz only 1 lucky passenger for the S2K. Are any of you guys high school students, and if so, found the S2K fulfilled their daily needs.
Another thing, how is the audio in the car. I bet the stock is OK, and I would probably have a nice Alpine system installed in it like the rest of my family's cars.
In case you guys were wondering other car's I was interested in, they were the BMW 325i and the Jeep Grand Cherokee (which I have about 75& of my driving experience with, as we have gone through 4 of them in the past 10 years.) Please let me know if you think the car would not be right for me so I don't regret it in the future. Thanks a bunch!

- David
A 16/17 year old and an S2000 just don't mix. It's just plain common sense that the experience level isn't there. I wouldn't recommend it.
Old 07-01-2009, 12:16 PM

^Pretty sure he is 24 now... Either way, drive something fwd as your first car and hit up some auto-x with it until you are ready for something sporty is my advice to the under 20 crowd.

Super ot,
Bronx, under 21 with a fiance or she recently became your fiance? She must be real special b/c you haven't lived much and are ready to settle down already.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:58 PM

Game Over you can put in a token in another 16 years
Old 07-02-2009, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by JP Money,Jul 1 2009, 12:16 PM
Super ot,
Bronx, under 21 with a fiance or she recently became your fiance? She must be real special b/c you haven't lived much and are ready to settle down already.
Im gonna be 22 in a few months (i know.,.. not much difference) I've always been ahead of people at my age. Ive dated a ton of women and have changed a lot and just happen to realize what I want early in life... Plus she's understanding of my Volunteer firefighting, my Going into the military, she just recently started doing Autox with me and LOVES it! she doesn't nag (relatively speaking of course) she's into cars, can cook, clean and mixes a mean drink (shes always popular at parties for this). She will make more money than me (engineers make more than USAF Officers) and Lets just say I am not left wanting once nighttime comes (if she waits that long)... so yea, definaltely found something special lol.
Old 07-02-2009, 06:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm 18, got it when I was 17 and a senior in high school.

My advice is to park away from the crowd and don't draw attention to yourself. Never boast about having a nice car in highschool cause that'll just get haters keying your car. I'm sure you already know that .

Driving wise just take it slow. It's twitchy if you push it to the limit but it's not as dangerous as some people say it is. I came from a rsx so rwd was new for me as well. Good luck and enjoy your car.

edit: wow this thread is old. SORRY.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:40 AM

Yea old but its got great info for any younger folks out there
Old 07-02-2009, 10:42 PM

im 18 and i just got my s2000 couple days ago.. not particularly new to rwd stick shift cars. drove my brother's beat up salvaged g35 for a couple months and learned stick on it. i've fish tailed once or twice at a turn so i think i can handle the s2k. plus the g35 had more torque.. so yea. as long as you take it easy and learn what the car is capable of first.
Old 07-04-2009, 12:05 PM

Im 18 in the market for an s2k as we speak, I've wanted it for years and thank god i did not get it any sooner, alot of the stuff i can do in my current car (03 pontiac vibe AWD) would=ditch in an s2k just by reading some of these types of threads, good info for sure, just take it easy and learn the car.