S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

New Driver Questions

Old 01-30-2002, 03:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

...when using "too" to modify and adjective...
You're gonna be a very, very busy man Steve if you go around pointing out other's spelling/grammar errors on this site

A lot of you guys/gals keep saying that he is going to wreck it, ding it, get it keyed etc. What you have to realize is that as much as we all love our cars, it is just that - a car! It can be fixed!!! What a miserable existence it would be if we went through life thinking about what could happen to us or our stuff. If there's one thing 9/11 has taught me, it is to live and enjoy life day by day, for tomorrow may never come.
Old 02-02-2002, 03:41 PM

Okay, first i want to say sorry for taking so long to reply back i have been apply for "COLLEGE."

Okay now first to steveS2k, ummm its called i typed that message in like 1 minute and wasn't worried that anyone would be so anal retentive as to get on my case for not using the correct word tense. Also, note that I spelled "College" right the first time, showing again that the second spelling was just a lapse in typing.

But back to the topic at hand, is the S2000 to small for "College?"
I do think I want to get one but do know about space. Right now i have a Z28 camaro, and am ready to get rid of this POS. In the past i have had a 1)325i bmw, was my first car, never wrecked it, but transmission went out on it, i hope it wasn't my fault. 2) mercury mystique, this was a transition car, hated it with a passion, but has great gas mileage. selling it to a cousin, and 3) my present car. great in a str8 line but doesn't like to turn at high speed and hates snow. Thats why i'm hoping I can go to a college in Cali, and drive my S2K with the top down, all year long..... (crossing fingers.) But anyways, my camaro isn't real big as it is. the trunk is basiclly a hole in the rear, but it does have a back seat which helps a little. So in ya'll expert opinion, especilly those of you who are in college, does the S2K make for a good college car?

Also I'm curious about these driving school. coul someone give me some more info on them and how much the cost. They sound really good, and if i ever do get a S2K, I hope to be able to do little racing in it. that would be great. well thanx for any useful info. Peace Easy
Old 02-02-2002, 04:34 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

AgentDSS it's a WHOLE lot of car I'd say (some are mentioned above but bear repeating):
1 Learn HOW to drive it. It's more car than many people on the road can effectively and safely drive
2 You will likely never be as much of a driver as it is a car
3 Check the price of insurance - there was an S2000 for sale last summer - 18 year old couldn't afford the insurance

JD
Old 02-02-2002, 06:34 PM

Yep, I've taken the fact of the problems I might have driving this car in particular. I'm dedicated and feel mature enough to own and drive this vehicle. I'm more than willing to take part in a manual stick driving school and a school designed for driving this type of car.

Again, I'm in a strong debating stage now, trying to figure THE car I really want and feel will be practical. It truly goes down to my dad's decision and we have not really talked much on the subject. I'm just trying to prepare what I'm going to talk about when the time comes (June). I also want to factor in that if I can get a car in June (my b-day is a the firm date that I can get a car) that I might have to order the car 1-2 mo. before June to guarantee a good delivery date. Even when I visited Subaru last week to test drive the WRX, the guy said if I wanted an automatic and one w/ options not on their lot, they would need approx. 2 months for delivery.

As for the insurance comment, I really should not be as worried as most because my dad is covering that. I know he would NOT be surprised at my insurance rate, if HE is the one who is accident-prone (Flipped 3 times in a Jeep when he slammed into 4 stopped cars while reading! No one got hurt...love those Jeeps!)
Old 02-02-2002, 06:43 PM

I got my S2000 when I was 15, May 05 2000... I turned 16 on Sept. 25 and have never stopped loving it. MY dad does pay for it and I'm very greatful. I do show it off but don't let it get to my head. Most of my friends all have nice cars, 02' WRX, 00'TypeR, 01'GT-S, 96'GSR... So the fight for shot gun isn't a big deal. The stock stereo sucks. This car does grant my every day needs and more.. it's just tooo much fun. Well I hope you enjoy it as much as I have and goodluck getting it. Be careful also.. Oh another thing I'm 5'7" so our height is different and it's perfect for me. lol. i'm growin but as for now i love the way the car fits me.
Old 02-02-2002, 09:09 PM

God DAMN! 15! I was just enjoying my learners permit when you grabbed yer wheels! BTW, nice mods..how much total for the NOS including install. Is it that DEX kit? What do you think of the WRX?
Old 02-03-2002, 06:28 AM

I sold mine because I did not want to insure and teach driving to my 15 yo son in a S2000. The power is intoxicating and too much temptation for a begiinning driver. This car when driven HARD rewards superior driving skill and punishes driver error. The car is safe enuff when driven like a Miata, but then why not get a miata and save the $$

Get a Miata and enjoy fun, top down drivng. Take performance driving classes at a track. Then step up up to a S2000
Old 02-03-2002, 07:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think same has a point. your first car should be something you can dent. after a year you should get the car you want.

my first car was a 61 chevy impala with a great back seat. bruised 3 of 4 fenders before buying a 74 camaro and going to UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN!

jss
Old 02-03-2002, 07:06 AM

im 18 and a senior in high school. i just bought my s2000 a couple weeks ago and i am paying for everything (car, insurance, gas, mods, service). this is my first manual car too. if you think you are mature enough to handle owning a car and resisting vtec'ing every stop sign i say go for it. i think i am responsible (and so do my parents) enough to drive this car, because im not going to drive it to its limits (well at least until a REALLY long time, until i get comfortable). and, do not drive the s2k to school. i have a truck that i drive to school because i know within 3 hours of being in my schools parking lot my car would be keyed. people are a$$holes.

chris
Old 02-03-2002, 07:30 AM

He would love a Honda S2000. I got mine at age71, had it for over a year. This is not a car you want to learn how to operate a manual transmission on. An S2000 is more difficult to shift smoothly than most cars. Learn on anything, but not the
S2000. For my high school days I had a bicycle, was allowed occassionl use of my Fathers 1941 Ford. Get the Honda!

Quick Reply: New Driver Questions