S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

New Driver Questions

Old 01-29-2002, 11:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Argg....I hate thinking about cars because I never can make up my mind. Before coming back tonite to view the new posts here, I told my mom "ok, if I'm gettin a car, I want only a 4 door/seater from BMW, Audi, Acura, or any similar companies". I also said no to the s2000, and she seem surprised as I usually ONLY talk about the s2k. Keep in mind my parents are divorced..heh.. and my mom has no real say in the matter or car BUYING. But when looking at some pics of S2K, a video, and the new posts here tonite, I said, DAMMIT, I still want that car! I guess I'll throw down the "disadvantages" and maybe you guys can give me a better alternative/comment on each one to counteract it. Ok....

# of seats = 2, I usually drive around two (2) of ma pals around on the weekends, and w/ the minivan I usually drive...other people climb in w/o permission = pissing me off.

Room = scarce on the S2K, I'm a big guy, 6' 2" 220lb. Foot/leg room is ALWAYs an issue w/ me and why I usually drive tall vehicles (minivan/jeep) comfortably. Also I'm a sorta small time movie director and have loads of gear at times (not always) and a computer geek, so I sometimes have to lug my full sized tower PC AND monitor. Right there I can imagine the PC in the trunk and the monitor (21 inches, big boy) up front ridin shotgun with a seatbelt around it

New to stick shifting = I've never driven a stick except in computer/video games and w/ my Honda ( ) Recon ATV, which has something similar to "clutchless" shifting. I understand the concept of shifting but feel it may be unnecessary to go manual over auto as I'm usually a city driver under 50mph and sometimes tired and pissed off and don't want to bother shifting.

Flashy-ness = Steal-Race Factor (I don't know how I came up with that description) = Since the car is pretty damn SWEET, it draws a lot of attention to it. I like this (coming from laughing stares when I drive a Minivan w/ a NOS decal on the window) but don't want tons of people wanting to race me, go for a ride, etc.. But it would be cool to whoop EVERYONE's ass! Also...no one, except a desperate mother...would steal our minivan. A S2K on the other hand is a LOT more wanted. 1st example is my school. Goto a large public high sKool (2000+ toddlers) and not exactly the most popular kid (well, for now at least ) and would not want my silver baby gettin scratched (by accident or anger). As someone mentioned a BIMMER would not get AS much attention.

Ok now please....try to throw a bunch of responses to these factors to persuade me to choose the HONDAAAAA S2000. If you do, and I get the car, I PROMISE to make high-quality kick ass movies (including an upcoming film w/ action, guns, cars, etc...) that you can all download instead of these so-so Realplayer movies and the ones w/ the Japanese guy screaming jibberish. Thank you ALL 4 UR time.

-DAVID
Old 01-29-2002, 11:59 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by AgentDSS
[B]Argg....I hate thinking about cars because I never can make up my mind. Before coming back tonite to view the new posts here, I told my mom "ok, if I'm gettin a car, I want only a 4 door/seater from BMW, Audi, Acura, or any similar companies". I also said no to the s2000, and she seem surprised as I usually ONLY talk about the s2k. Keep in mind my parents are divorced..heh.. and my mom has no real say in the matter or car BUYING. But when looking at some pics of S2K, a video, and the new posts here tonite, I said, DAMMIT, I still want that car! I guess I'll throw down the "disadvantages" and maybe you guys can give me a better alternative/comment on each one to counteract it. Ok....

# of seats = 2, I usually drive around two (2) of ma pals around on the weekends, and w/ the minivan I usually drive...other people climb in w/o permission = pissing me off.
Old 01-30-2002, 01:09 AM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As I said in another thread, I get first dibbs on the engine and transmission
Old 01-30-2002, 01:25 AM

Originally posted by cthree
As I said in another thread, I get first dibbs on the engine and transmission
Ok, I still want the 01 or 02 radio
Old 01-30-2002, 01:50 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by UCrazyKid
[B]If you have everything at such a young age, what is there to look forward too.
Old 01-30-2002, 05:26 AM

If you go to a public high school, plan on having the car keyed withing the first 3 days its on the lot. I'm not trying to be a jerk, but its a fact of life in public high school. The mix of people is such that someone is always jealous of what someone else has and instead of appreciating it for them, they try to make that thing less enjoyable for the person that does have it. Heck, I'd be worried about parking it in my college lot!
Old 01-30-2002, 06:07 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You should try to find a dealer who will sell it for MSRP and not "dealer inflated prices". There is no need for them to pillage your wallet further. I feel safe in my car. Except when it's snowing.
Old 01-30-2002, 07:37 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by munckee
[B]If you go to a public high school, plan on having the car keyed withing the first 3 days its on the lot.
Old 01-30-2002, 07:49 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by N64Tommy
[B]dj, Hey i'm 18 and about to go to college in the fall. i was considering getting a S2K but i'm kinda worried that it might be to small for college.
Old 01-30-2002, 08:44 AM

My 2 cents!
I think you are very lucky to even have to make a choice like this!
1. You will put at least a dent in it, if not have a minor accident as you learn how to read other drivers. You may be very responsible, but... If that doesn't bother you, get the car!
2. Get some "real instruction" in driving, steering and emergency braking, spinout training and so on...
3. Grow out of your teenage emotions real fast, because temptation is a bitch...

Good luck

Quick Reply: New Driver Questions