S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

New Driver Questions

Old 01-26-2002, 03:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would say that if you can get this car now, why in the hell would you ever pass up this opportunity? I'd assume that your parents are probably going to pay for most, if not all of it, so go for it. One day you're gonna have to pay for it all yourself, and that might not be for a while so get it while you can.

Just do what the other's say...since you live in DC metro area, go to Summit Point for Friday at the track (FATT) to learn how to drive your car. After seeing pics of numerous really bad wrecks in the S2000, I feel very safe in it.

Too small for college? I doubt it...just enough room for you and your girlfriend(s). I drive mine to work everyday and there is plenty of room for daily driving.

Good luck, and hop over to the Mid-Atlantic forum and say hi when you get your car. Now you just have to decide what color to get
Old 01-26-2002, 05:46 PM

Well, I've been already planning other choices for a car ranging from a BMW 325i, to Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, to even a WRX! But after tonite, I heading back to the S2K area....my dad took out his 2001 Custom Built Bentley Continental, hit 110 on Canal rd. in DC-MD, and passed 2 cars by speeding along side them in a lane w/ oncoming traffic!...a la Fast n Furious. What a rush! The reasons that steer me away from the S2K is the room (cargo and seating) and if the car is practical in my lifestyle (high school student/film director, haha).
Old 01-26-2002, 05:58 PM

Dude, I can understand the bimmer and the WRX, but why the hell would you even think about getting a Jeep Grand Cherokee? Not like you have a family to haul around or anything...you may one day, so I suggest S2000 now while you can (I'm not biased )

my dad took out his 2001 Custom Built Bentley Continental
ahh...can you say BIG money? Maybe you might want to ask your dad for a Modena, or at least a 911 Turbo
Old 01-27-2002, 07:03 AM

You would think he would blow a shitload on a new car for me, but he wouldn't. He knows his limits and would probably not spend more than 35k for a 1st car. The reason for the Jeep is because that is the primary vehicle we and I drive at our house. Majority of my driving experience is on a Jeep and I happen to like to be high (elevation, heh) on the road. What I mean is if I had to get an SUV..nothing but a Jeep. Also a large part in seating. It's common for me to haul my friends to the movies and stuff and I'm a pretty large guy (6' 2" 220) and need a LOT of footroom. So far the Jeep has been able to accomplish all of this. The S2K COULD help though by "cutting" down the # of passengers and rides.
Old 01-27-2002, 04:35 PM

I'm from the school of thought that teenagers don't believe that "fat meat is greasy"!

Even though the S is not terribly expensive, ownership of such an esoteric vehicle is a large responsibility nonetheless. If the young man that started the post gets the S, more power to him (pun intended).

I feel that a high schooler is not ready for the overwhelming temptations and distractions that a car like the S can bring. I feel that there is a natural order of progression in life and people are too eager to "jump the line" so to speak. What about the maintanace (sp) of the vehicle (i.e service of engine and transmission not to mention the penalties to the parents insurance record if a mishap should occur). I feel that it would only be a matter of time. I know that parents will do almost anything for thier children, so if they GIVE it to him, great. i just don't think he's ready for one. Road exerience.....Driving technique.......yadda yadda.......
Old 01-27-2002, 05:42 PM

The s2k was my dailer driver before I lost my license. I drove it to school everyday and had no problems at all.
Old 01-27-2002, 06:28 PM

I'm a highschool student. But i'll admit right now that the S2000 in my family isn't mine. In fact i'm not allowed to drive it without my dad in the car yet. However, i do drive it and i love it. I'm the one that loves the car, i'm the one who won't let him wash it in an automatic car wash. But on with my points. It is a wonderful car but i don't think i'd trust it as my first car as a highschooler, especially if i'd never driven a stick before. The S2000 is very very easy to drive as far as sticks go, but over half of all teenagers total their first cars. I drive a 93' Ford Crown Victoria with 40000 miles. nice first car, grandma gave it to me, given the choice to buy an S2000 as my first car, i'd probably pass it up, or get some other daily drive POS. it's just not worth it. i wouldn't trust my public highschool parking lot with a new 32k sports car. If i were you, and i'm not, i'd buy the WRX, my reasoning is, i need a car i can drive in snow, the WRX is just as fast as the S2000 and holds all your shit and friends. It's cheaper so you can put a mad system in there and have money for mod's. Just an opinion, ive decided to sell my crown vic get a job and buy a wrx for myself, first real life goal. I'm 16, 17 in may. good luck i'll be around if you would like to talk further about it..

AIM: Freshman Scum
Old 01-27-2002, 06:36 PM

Yea, thats why I liked the WRX...its pretty powerful, got room, and left over stuff to mod and add audio/visual stuff.
Old 01-27-2002, 08:02 PM

Originally posted by AgentDSS
Yea, thats why I liked the WRX...its pretty powerful, got room, and left over stuff to mod and add audio/visual stuff.
Ok, this is all true, but line those two cars up next to one another, the S2000 will look like a queen next to a humpback. The car is ugly. With a capital UGLY.
Old 01-27-2002, 08:12 PM

Originally posted by ace039

Ok, this is all true, but line those two cars up next to one another, the S2000 will look like a queen next to a humpback. The car is ugly. With a capital UGLY.
UGLY is an UNDERSTATEMENT!!!

Quick Reply: New Driver Questions