S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Never will buy again...

Old 04-06-2001, 12:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The S2K will be my last Honda. Or from any dealership that is not a luxury brand i.e. Toyota, Honda, Ford, Mazda, etc... you get the picture

I got my car on a lease due to the high pressure sales from the sales guy. In my mind I'm thinkin okay just lease the freakin thing and get out of there because I didn't want to haggle. In a month I'll buy the car.

Well I went into a bank today with the mind set of buying my S2K. Guess what? Freakin penalties up the ye-hole.

My next car will be no-haggle pricing from either Acura, BMW, Mercedes, or Lexus.

I live out of Portland, OR so if you want to know the dealer that I went to let me know.

Dealer markup! Haggling! Enough of the B.S!!!!!
!%!#@%%$^$!@
Old 04-06-2001, 12:49 PM

dude, sorry to hear that, but in the Acura/BMW/Mercedes world you'll have to pay up if the car's hot.

Case and point: $25K "market adjustment" for M5. when the TL first came out you can't hardly get one at MSRP, some were marked up by a few $Ks. You wanna buy the latest and "cutest" C class? prepare to shell out 45K+ for a loaded C320! why would I do that when I can get an E class for 1000 below invoice?

Being an informed consumer is what car buying is all about, but nevertheless, I'm really sorry to hear about your experience.
Old 04-06-2001, 12:52 PM

My local Bimmer dealership charges 0 for the 'latest and hotest' car.

They are a ver professional dealership.

They are not evening charging dealer markup for the new M3! ;-)
Old 04-06-2001, 12:59 PM

i'd have to say the nicer the car the nicer the dealership...my honda dealer wasn't all that great and the service sucked but i just went to a mercedez dealership with my worst clothes on. old ass fleece sweater and dirty old jeans and they treated me like i was anyone else...offered me test drives on the slk whatever model i wanted and was more than gracious. when you move up in car class so does the class of the dealer. i'm not saying there aren't exception but i would rather deal with the mercedez guys over the honda guys anyday
Old 04-06-2001, 01:02 PM

I think it all depends on the dealership. Somehow, I can't see Acura being better than Honda. BMW and Mercedes however are in a different class so you can't compare. They make more money from their cars (just the options alone) and they get so much business these days that they don't really have to haggle or give you any price cuts. Basically, if you want it pay for it, but they won't miss your business.

I don't understand leases very well but I won't be surprised that there's a penalty when trying to buy the car after only a month. I mean one of the drawbacks of a lease is that you are penalized if you break the lease.

Sorry that it had happened to you. I guess wait till the end of the lease to buy it? There's no drawbacks to sticking to a luxury brand from now on though you might miss something like the S2K in the future but not that you won't be getting a great car in the future right?
Old 04-06-2001, 01:03 PM

i'd have to say that I don't think this is hondas fault. No high pressure should cause you to buy or lease a car if you don't want to. Me, I just say, thanks but no thanks, and I walk.

-Shing
Old 04-06-2001, 01:03 PM

Sorry to hear that man ... I had a very similar experience at Thomason Toyota in Gladstone.

For the S2000, I had a relative who works with the Honda lot talk to the guys who work there before I showed up.

No haggle price, easy financing, straight up deal. It was a night/day difference. I will never go back a lot without some kind of insider connection.

The BEST way to do it is through a credit union. At Legacy Federal Credit Union in Portland, you just tell them what kind of car you want (options, color, etc). They find the car for you, do all of the financing (lease, buy, whatever) and get the paperwork ready. They call you up, you come to the Credit Union, sign the papers, and then go pick up the car. You never have to speak with anyone on the lot.

Best experience of buying a car ever ..

- Relson
Old 04-06-2001, 01:05 PM

I can sympathise, my local Honda dealers are freakin twats, they wanted to charge me
Old 04-06-2001, 01:07 PM

A person who doesn't understand how car finance works will get ripped off at any dealership. I don't understand why you think a luxury brand wouldn't have put you in the same situation.
Old 04-06-2001, 01:10 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Howie
[B]I think it all depends on the dealership.

Quick Reply: Never will buy again...