S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Neuspeed Sport Springs

Old 12-04-2001, 07:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

am i allowed to do this? i'm not advertising one particular person... but...
Seung, I'm sure the mods won't mind at all since Mingster is a respected(mostly ) sponsor of this board. Hell, their logo is part of my Sig tag, hehe! Infact, I ordered a set of KG/mm Super Sport springs from Mingster and it's on it's way. PM him for the price.

KG/mm SS springs only lower the S2K about 0.59 inches, so if you're after the aggro look, then I would suggest the KG/mm Racing springs which will lower it about 1.38 inches, about the same as the Neuspeed springs. If you don't care about handling and strictly going for looks, then Neuspeed or KG/mm Racing springs would serve your needs just fine.

BUT, if you're like me and you're worried about the handling aspects as much as the visuals, then lowering any car more than an inch with springs only and stock shocks will affect the handling negatively. I've talked to three different fellow S2K'ers that had the Neuspeed springs and they all said it affected the handling characteristic of the S2K. Now keep in mind that it's not just Neuspeed springs, but any springs that lower the car more than an inch including KG/mm's.
That's why I went with a set of KG/mm Super Sport springs for a less aggro lowering, but hoping that it will not upset the handling balance of the stock setup.

I personally believe Neuspeed is an excellent company with great products, so I wouldn't worry about the quality or reputation of this company.

Another spring choice would be Eibachs, which lower it about 1 inch.

If you're getting a great deal on a set of Neuspeeds and not really worried about the performance aspect much, then by all means go for the Neuspeeds. They give the S2K a real mean look!!
Old 12-04-2001, 07:27 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a set of the Neuspeeds which I'm planning to part with, never used, in the original box. If someone is interested, PM me an offer!
Old 12-04-2001, 07:35 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ok, so here's a question for mingster then...

i have 18" SSR's on 255's in the back, which of the kg/mm springs do you suggest? not sure if the 1.38 drop is too low for the wheels i run. obviously there's no issue with the .59 springs. will the .59's settle to beyond .59 over time?

generally, are the kg/mm "spring rates" harder or softer than h&r's? as a point of discussion, i'm told that the HKS springs ARE harder than h&r's for the S2000, but the drop is like 2 inches so i'm not leaning that way.

p.s. i'd rather be conservative than aggressive.

(my h&r's have settled to about a 1 inch drop and i get no rubbing, but i find them too soft)

regards,

nimesh
Old 12-04-2001, 10:37 AM

Sounds like you have the exact same set-up as me! I'm not sure about SSR's offsets, but if they're mid 40's front, mid 50's rear, you'll do fine with KG/mm Race springs -- that's what I'm currently running on with NO rubbing/scratching etc.
Old 12-04-2001, 10:51 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

shamu,

thanks, but i don't know if my SSR's have the same offsets as your OZ's

so, i take it that your car is OK with the the kg/mm RACE springs.

fyi, i run 18 x 8 F and 18x9 R - hope that is ok for the RACE springs.
Old 12-04-2001, 01:54 PM

I'm running 255 P-Zeroes in the rear on SSR GT-1s and HKS springs. The drop is supposed to be slightly more than an inch.. but I still have not gotten around to measuring it. My car is pretty low though. Just barely a two-finger gap in the front and a looser two in the back. Maybe I can get some pictures up later.

I do get rubbing sometimes in the rear. Not that frequently and not that badly. The rubbing from the rear is so infrequent that I even decided not to roll my rear fenders. If I were to roll the fenders I think I could fit 265s back there.

The fronts, however, are a different story. Hit a bump on a hard corner, or any bump that sends the wheels high into the wells, and they rub like a fat girl's thighs during Tae-Bo. The tires up front are 225/40/18. A half inch higher, or the wheels offset a couple more MM in would do the trick. Just as an experiment.. I might try 215s in the front on my next set of wheels. I'm only concerned with the idea of having a car that understeers under the limit and will still snap ass-around at a moment's notice.

If you're concerned about the ride at all, I wouldn't go this way. It's very stiff.
Old 12-04-2001, 06:52 PM

Originally posted by TKG 26
shamu,

thanks, but i don't know if my SSR's have the same offsets as your OZ's

so, i take it that your car is OK with the the kg/mm RACE springs.

fyi, i run 18 x 8 F and 18x9 R - hope that is ok for the RACE springs.
Yup -- my OZ's are 18x8 F and 18x9 R as well, and I love the KG/mm Race springs!
Old 12-05-2001, 09:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To throw my .02 in, I am not a fan of Neuspeed for performance purposes. I used to have a set of Neuspeed Sport springs on my Accord and they only dropped the car 1.25" all around which was perfect. The ride was decent and it looked good. But over the course of 1 year, the springs deteriorated. I thought it was because of my stock shocks so I changed them out for some Tokicos. Although they did improve performance a little bit the ride was still too bouncy. This worsened over time. By the 2nd year, the car had dropped to 2.25" when the maximum drop was supposed to be 1.75". Based on that, I have not purchased another Neuspeed product.

I switched to Eibach springs on my previous car, 00 Si and they held up great. The ride was a bit softer/smoother but the handling was much improved as they became progressively stiffer under hard cornering. The ride height dropped 1.5" and did not change over the 2 years I drove on them, and the ride comfort on the stock shocks remained smooth until I traded my car in for the S2k 2 months ago.

But if you are going just for looks, go ahead and get the Neuspeed. If you want better performance, I would look at some other springs unless Neuspeed has fixed this sagging spring issue.
Old 12-05-2001, 10:22 PM

to answer some questions:

if you run an aggro sized/offset wheel/tire combo, try not to lower it at all if possible. if you want to lower it with only springs, H&R and kg/mm SuperSport are both nice. i've driven the H&Rs and don't think they're "soft", they're just slightly more "comfortable" than stock. kg/mm springs will ride very nicely, but again, everyone has their own opinion. i think they're really good springs.

neuspeed springs are made in germany by, ahem, a brand that's mentioned here. so i think you may have had a bad spring.

lastly, and i'm sure many owners here can attest to this: the reason why we kept neuspeed in our lineup and promote it is not just because i have a personal relationship with their management, it's not just because they are close and i can get parts anytime i want, it's because they offer simply the BEST customer service i have ever seen in this industry, and that IMO says a lot. i've toured the neuspeed plant and i can see their aim for quality. neuspeed's main market focus is NOT Honda/Acuras, but rather VW and Audis, and they have a very loyal following all over the world, and for good reasons. due to license restrictions, neuspeed cannot create an SC application for the Honda/Acuras, but i know in my heart if neuspeed wanted to do it, they'd do it right. if you saw their SC kits for the VWs, you'd see that.

i'm not hawking neuspeed here, i'm just trying to express my opinion of neuspeed as a company.

now, the neuspeed springs are nice springs, but they're not for everyone.