S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Need your honest opinion on painted calipers...

Old 11-08-2009, 05:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hswan1180,Nov 7 2009, 12:12 PM
What do you guys think....

I am thinking on painting my calipers Yellow with black s2000 decals of black with yellow decals??? I think the yellow might be too much (unless is a brembo caliper) so i am going more with the Black paint and yellow decal.
mine are gonna be with black paint and red decals that say "s2000". i think that its the best way to accent them without drawing too much attention to them. but i still dont think red callipers are ricey or fake brembros. those fake bolt on brembro covers are fake brembros. red calipers are just trying to make the ugly pretty!
Old 11-08-2009, 09:11 AM

Received 3,791 Likes on 2,671 Posts

Originally Posted by bran4u,Mar 16 2002, 04:10 AM
Hi everyone,

It took me 5 long hours...from setting up the car on the axle stands to getting the calipers painted, w/ multiple layers of red.
What a pain in the butt

While I was checking out the newly painted calipers on the car, it hit me big... ' Is that too ricey?'

Now I have a Suzuka Blue with RED calipers.

Do y'all think it's nice or rice?

My intention was pure...to make the car look nicer, like the porsches

Your honest opinions on painting calipers please

and the paint I used was Foliatec brake lacquer kit.
I'm doing mine very soon as my car is 7 years old and the original calipers look terrible.

I'm doing mine with the Foliatec silver paint colour. I think this colour gives them a clean and classy look, kind of restorng them close to how they looked when the car was brand new. I chose this colour over the "ricey" look that brighter colours tend to give you - red, blue, yellow, etc...

My other choice would be gold colour as you see that on some high end brembos. I just find the very bright colours as being "ricey" as many people have done that to their import cars and it is getting old looking IMO, despite many high end Porsches, Ferraris and Lambos having red calipers. I prefer a more classy colour that looks sharp but doesn't grab too much attention.

My Caliber SRT4 has red coloured calipers from the factory and I'm tired of people asking my why my brakes are a red colour, and wondering if I painted them myself, etc.... (usually from older non-automotive enthusiast types). Just my opinion, colour choice is a very personal opinion.
Old 11-08-2009, 11:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get a bbk and you don't have to worry about it
Old 11-08-2009, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Dollabill,Nov 8 2009, 12:05 PM
get a bbk and you don't have to worry about it
I want a BBK but i am not sure what rims ill put, i want the Kinesis and as you might know they range from 4k up, and i dont race to much so i want 19, with the tire inside the rear fender "not all the way but just starting , so when i get wells ill try maybe yellow brembos if poosible. but for know im just taking it easy, and i have in storage a stoptech kit that was $600. Hey pimping is not easy, or we do it right or not at all lol.
Old 11-08-2009, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by hondaphreak,Nov 8 2009, 06:23 AM
mine are gonna be with black paint and red decals that say "s2000". i think that its the best way to accent them without drawing too much attention to them. but i still dont think red callipers are ricey or fake brembros. those fake bolt on brembro covers are fake brembros. red calipers are just trying to make the ugly pretty!
I have no problem with red, but to my taste , the yellow with the original calipers in red, they really dont say anything, is like look at me but im not impress. I might do the black and yellow decal for now,is clean sporty and not 2 flashy lol and when i deside what wheels ill get , then i ill posible get the BBK!
Old 11-08-2009, 05:17 PM

I'm not sure why anyone would want to draw attention to our tiny little calipers.
Old 11-08-2009, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Comanche5,Nov 8 2009, 06:17 PM
I'm not sure why anyone would want to draw attention to our tiny little calipers.
have you seen anyone say they wanted to draw attention to their calipers. no. they just want to make that ugly bland bile brown color a little less ugly. not to draw attention but to keep from drawing attention in the wrong way.
Old 11-08-2009, 10:57 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,380 Likes on 1,031 Posts

I really don't like the red/yellow/whatever else painted caliper look unless the caliper came that way.

Spoon calipers look great in the blue. Brembos look good in gold or red or whatever.

Stock floating calipers look dumb all painted up. My S2000 never sees the snow/salt...so the calipers just look like faded OEM silver.

My EM1 is my DD. So I painted the calipers silver with flame proof VHT paint. They look like they're fresh OEM calipers. They have been through a track day and a lot of hard street braking...no issues with fade or peeling yet.

IMO, the red painted look just looks like you're trying way too hard. It's rice burglar spec for sure. Especially on a blue car....it's like you wanted to be spiderman for halloween and the car is your costume.
Old 11-08-2009, 10:59 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,380 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Originally Posted by airgate,Apr 25 2002, 04:44 PM
OMG!!! This kind of "cheap" talk from a moderator. BAD S2K's S2000 is very sweet. You have to show some respect here and lead by example. Don't patronize someone by stating "No offense bro but your car looks hideous." That's just nonsense. Of course someone would be offended! It's their car and their money, time and sweat went into that car! And don't even get me started on the whole Ronald McDonald statement! Geez!

umm...he asked for an honest opinion. No need to be his internet superhero...
Old 11-09-2009, 04:24 AM

i have a yellow 2000 with red calipers and work at McDonald. My car blends great with the building colors. People think its the company car.

Quick Reply: Need your honest opinion on painted calipers...