S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Need your honest opinion on painted calipers...

Old 03-26-2002, 01:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I painted my Red CRX-Si with Yellow Folia-tec.
For the most part the Folia-tec held up to track abuse with only a little turning Orange, but never burnt off, and as I was using Hawk Blue pads, there was plenty of heat!!! In hindsight I would never do this again because the only day they looked good was day #1. The dark pad dust from my street pads always makes them look dirty, and the Yellow brings your eyes right in to notice how dirty they are.
For me I'm going to go with bentrim as far as color on the S2000. I will be painting them with the Folia-tec or the high heat paint from Groit's Garage. (SIDE NOTE: Groit's Garage hi-heat paint is the only thing I ever got that would stick to the header without burning off in a season. The Groit's paint has been on there for three years, but it is not a shinny thick coat like the Folia-tec.)
Originally posted by bentrim
Old 03-26-2002, 02:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Just do whatever you like and think looks good to you. The hell w/ these common old farts that smash every car unless it looks like theirs. Until they start making your payments or you get moved to red China; do whatever pleases you and F*** everyone else.
Old 03-26-2002, 03:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BAD S2K,

U made my day!
Old 03-27-2002, 03:58 PM

If you don't have any red trim besides the valve cover, I would not have painted the calipers red. If I had a blue car, I would have went with black or plated as a rule. But, I kind of like the red calipers.
Old 03-27-2002, 04:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most people know by now that I have few criticisms of the S2000, it represents outsanding value for money. I can live with the plastic rear window quite happily. I have to say one of the shoddiest features of the car is the lack of finish on the calipers which if left, just gets to look worse over time. Those calipers detract from the appearance of the car and the wheels. I painted them red on my Silverstone and it looks great.

Hey it's your car and the calipers look fine to me!
Old 03-28-2002, 09:59 AM

Powder coating is the way to go.
Old 03-28-2002, 04:12 PM

IMHO, it's a bit ricey, but WTF. i painted mine red and i like it alot.
Old 03-30-2002, 09:07 AM

Hey Utah S2k,
What the hell is wrong with you?? Any S2000 looks good in my books. I've got a 33' Scarab with twin 454s and it is painted black, yellow, and RED. It definately doesn't look like something that Ronald McDonald would drive. I'll show you guys a picture once the lake thaws. If you say that's something Ronald should drive you better get some help. Hey BAD S2k, LOOKS GREAT!
Old 04-22-2002, 01:03 PM

I agree with BAD S2K, it's your car so personalize it to your taste! I will add however that I painted mine red with G2 epoxy (great product) because I wanted a protective finish and like the way it looks on Corvettes and Porsches but....if I were to do it again I'd probably choose black or silver.
Old 04-23-2002, 04:22 PM

I talked to some Porsche guys in Marin, thet send theirs to a company in LA, that does powdercoating with logos. I already bought the GT caliper paint from seriousauto.com so I'll give that a try first. I'll take pics after it is all done. BTW I am also going to install SS brakelines, speed bleeders, and Super Blue ATE dot 4 fluid. Does any one have any cautions on the brake upgrade? I have heard alot of people don't reccommend the bleeders.

Thanks,

Asura

Quick Reply: Need your honest opinion on painted calipers...