S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Need some assistance on looking for my First S

Old 08-07-2015, 10:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some assistance on looking for my First S

Hey,

My name is Damian and i have been looking and saving up for a S for a couple years now. I just joined and i still feel like a noob with everything. I have some questions to ask
I dont know exactly what i want yet, either a Ap1 or Ap2 ...... i want the ap2 for softer suspension and the semi adjustment on the oversteer. But thats about it ... many people are telling me ap1 for 9k rmp and others are telling me just go for ap2 but im just in a pickle on what to choose.... i have about 2 months left until i purchase but i just don't want to make the wrong choice and regret it... i know i wont regret the car just the model i guess ... so if anyone can help me and teach me the ways of the S gods i would appriciate that

Thank you
Damian Barragan
Old 08-07-2015, 10:29 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,233 Likes on 1,077 Posts

Make a priority list. Here's mine (as best I recall). If I wanted to work on the car I'd have bought a TR6.

1. 2006 or later. Drive by wire, traction control, stability assist in addition to other AP2 features.

2. Under 40,000 miles.

3. Immaculate condition.

4. Pure stock.

5. Honda dealer.

6. Color? With this list I'd probably take whatever was there.

Notice price was not on my priority list. This is was a "play purchase."

I got everything but #4 as the previous owner had buggered the car with black Einke wheels and mediocre tires. Took a month but the car was soon shod with the proper OEM wheels and premium summer tires. Silver makes up about 45% of all S2000s so it's no surprise that mine is silver too. Matches my Honda outboard.

I intended and swore I'd keep her stock. Didn't. But the changes are minor and all the OEM parts are in storage for the "next" owner. JDM clear side lights (orange looks so ugly on silver); CR shift knob; Tanabe Medalion Touring exhaust. I tried the Invidia Q300 -- I loved it. My wife hated it!. We all know what that means...

Take a while with your list. #1 is gotta have, #2 is gotta have, #3 is want, etc. If you don't care AP1/AP2 (and there are folks who love their AP1s!) the list gets easier to find 'cuz even though the AP1 was produced for less years there are/were more of them built.

I never considered the CR. It's a hard top or no top. Weather here is too unpredictable.

-- Chuck
Old 08-08-2015, 04:40 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Cant know without driving both. What do you mean by "i have about 2 months left until i purchase"? Generally it takes people some time to search and find the 'one'.
Old 08-23-2015, 08:13 AM
Rat

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A few things to think about:

1 - Some cars for sale that appear "stock" may not have been stock their entire lives. Some have just had their aftermarket parts (turbos, superchargers, rims, exhausts, etc) removed and sold separately. The car is then put back to stock. Not saying that there is anything wrong with this, just good to know the history of the car you are buying.

2 - Regarding colors, black is a headache to maintain. Red is just slightly less of a headache. Both look great when freshly detailed but other colors are much less work and don't show water spots, tiny rock chips, etc nearly as much.

3 - I would also choose AP2 (personal preference, younger car and the reasons Chuck S stated.

4 - Check the history of the car (carfax etc) so you can avoid anything that had major frame damage, previously submerged in a flood, etc.

5 - Not sure where you live but you might be able to find a local S2000 group or tuner to find someone that could check out any car you are interested in before you purchase. Or they might know of a car for sale.

Where are you located?
Old 08-23-2015, 10:39 AM

Received 207 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Damian_mayker
Hey,

My name is Damian and i have been looking and saving up for a S for a couple years now. I just joined and i still feel like a noob with everything. I have some questions to ask
I dont know exactly what i want yet, either a Ap1 or Ap2 ...... i want the ap2 for softer suspension and the semi adjustment on the oversteer. But thats about it ... many people are telling me ap1 for 9k rmp and others are telling me just go for ap2 but im just in a pickle on what to choose.... i have about 2 months left until i purchase but i just don't want to make the wrong choice and regret it... i know i wont regret the car just the model i guess ... so if anyone can help me and teach me the ways of the S gods i would appriciate that

Thank you
Damian Barragan
Hello Damian and welcome to S2ki.

The ways of the S Gods include reading through the stickies (pinned topics) and doing lots of research. The AP1 vs AP2 debate has been done to absolute death and then some here and there are plenty of threads on that. The information hasn't changed. You might consider reading through those for a complete primer on everything ever said regarding AP1 vs AP2. Should keep you busy a couple of hours. Read through the differences between the years threads (see stickies) and then formulate specific questions which people can answer for you.

Best wishes in your search!
Old 08-24-2015, 02:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Damian_mayker
many people are telling me ap1 for 9k rmp
Hi Damian. If you plan on modding the car, you'll quickly find that of all the atrocious HP/$ mods out there for this car (which is to say, all of them), one of the least atrocious is a tune and lowering of VTEC engagement with Hondata Flashpro. Its a popular thing for the bolt-ons crowd to do, and is only available to the DBW AP2's. That was a huge deciding factor for me whenever I searched for an S, so I figured that I would throw that out there.

But I think the paramount deciding factor for me in purchasing used cars is mileage. The lower, the better. Only thing you can't fix with mods and money is miles. Lucky for me, I found my AP2 with 2400 miles on it.
Old 08-24-2015, 03:25 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,233 Likes on 1,077 Posts

Drive-by-Wire (DBW). Greg Esmond (gernby.tunes@yahoo.com) FlashPro tuned my '06 this summer. Final tune has a 3600rpm VTEC at WOT. I can cruise just like before. At 80mph there's little reason to drop to 5th or 4th. Just press on the gas and VTEC takes over, the exhaust note instantly changes, and the car leaps forward. That and the myriad of tweaks have made the car even more wonderful to drive. Day and night and I loved the original "night" setup! Even I can go into FlashPro and set the VTEC wherever I want it but without the other adjustments it's probably not going to be real efficient or safe.

-- Chuck
Old 08-24-2015, 03:42 PM

Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

Do yourself a favor and purchase an 06+ S2000.
Old 08-24-2015, 06:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your tastes and preferences are going to be different from everyone. Do yourself a favor and drive both AP1/AP2. Then make your decision.