S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Need security system advice

Old 03-06-2001, 05:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm considering several security options. I didn't go with the alarm system that my dealer offered because it was made by a local firm that I've never heard of.

My questions are:

1. Besides LoJack, what have you guys done to your stooks in terms of security?

2. If an aftermarket car alarm, such as Clifford alarms is installed will it void any warranty related to the car's electronics?

3. Are there honda approved security systems?

4. Does Honda make any security systems?

5. How good are anti-theft devices, particularly the Unbrakeable Autolock Pro, http://www.autolock.com? It's top rated by Good Housekeeping and Thatcham approved, I don't know how good this makes the product, opinions?

I keep my car garaged and live in a very safe area, but I do visit some places where I wouldn't be comfortable leaving my baby for any period of time. I have LoJack installed but I'd like to find out about some of the other options that are available. Please advise
Old 03-06-2001, 06:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Honda security system, installed by the dealer. It provides enough 'peace of mind' that I can park it in a lot and go inside for dinner, whatever. I don't think any alarm will prevent a skilled thief from getting into your car and taking whatever they want. However, for me the Honda alarm provides ample security for the grocery store and the movies.

What a Honda alarm lacks is the motion sensor for the interior. So if your top is down, the alarm will sound if someone reaches into the car with such a device. More expensive aftermarket alarms have all that stuff. Some here have them and say good things about them. Personally, I like stock stuff. It's a Honda remote and still operates the trunk.

I don't leave anything in the cockpit if the top is down, even if your aftermarket alarm starts sqawking from sensing motion, the burgler just has to haul ass with your radar detector, phone, cd case, or whatever. Moral of the story is: don't leave anything in there with the top down [or the top up for that matter] else it might disappear. An alarm isn't likely to stop that theft.

If you know you will be in a dangerous place, why take the S2K anyway?

With your lojack and a basic alarm, you are covered pretty dang well.

My $.02,

-DD-
Old 03-07-2001, 12:54 PM

1. I have an aftermarket alarm installed in the car (HOFCO). They are located in Culver City and are a good alarm. My alarm has a shock sensor (goes off when someone hits the car)and a proximity sensor (goes off if someone reaches into the cockpit). I also had the remote on the alarm wired so that it can pop the trunk and unlock the passenger door, even with the engine running.

2. I doubt that my warantee is voided. HOFCO is one of the only aftermarket alarms that BMW and Jaguar allow in their cars and not void their warranty.

Hope this helps.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by reecespieces
[B]I'm considering several security options.
Old 03-08-2001, 04:47 AM

I just purchased the Autolock Pro, haven't received it yet. I like the fact that they will not be able to drive the car if they can't use the brakes. They could use the parking brake but that would be tricky. I thought about putting the lock on the clutch pedal, should not be able to start the car without pushing in the clutch. Will try this when I get it. I feel like alarms are useless. Most people ignore these in a parking lot when one is going off. That's my $.02.