S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Need Impressions on Mugen/Spoon/Upgrade ECU

Old 11-18-2002, 03:40 PM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 23psi4age
[B]
Old 11-18-2002, 03:42 PM
Former Moderator

No way in hell the a car gained 24.5ps with the Mugen ECU and intake. Believe me I have both and it just isn't happening. If it is, I got a bad ECU.
Old 11-18-2002, 04:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No way in hell the a car gained 24.5ps with the Mugen ECU and intake. Believe me I have both and it just isn't happening. If it is, I got a bad ECU.
so what kinda increases? how does it feel to you compared to the stock setup? worth it? ever on a dyno?

Sorry but you are wrong but hey it's your money. Let's think about what you just said. A stock S2000 running a Vortech or Comptech SC will gain nearly 100hp for $5000. Is that worth it? You've just made a 240hp car into a 340hp car. How much money did you dump into the corolla to make it run at 25psi to gain 100 extra hp? I've worked with many turbo cars before but forced induction is different in a supercharger then it is on a turbocharger and you have to be able to understand that. Boosting on a stock n/a car is different then boosting on a turbo'd car from the factory. You can't compare the two and to think you can is wrong

what makes you think i dont realize that boosting on an N/A car is diff. then boosting on a car that came turbo from the factory?? Thats y i mentioned that if i was to do a supercharger, i would change the internals to handle big boost because the N/A S2000 motor isnt meant for boost.

-100hp for $5000 is definetly not worth it. I could get a custom turbo kit for the S2000 for less than that and have money left over for pistons and rods...... thats a fact. we could do the math (manifold+wastegate=800,turbo=700, piping+intercooler=1000,downpipe+hiflow cat=250, manual boost controller= 80--- thats all the main parts and thats under 3g's)
-my corolla didnt come turbo from the factory... the 4age motor stock hp is ~128hp at the crank. my car was putting out 400+ hp at the crank.
Old 11-18-2002, 04:35 PM
Former Moderator

a supercharger that runs at 25psi? I think I wasn't clear in what I was saying. I was trying to say that a SC boost isn't the same as a turbo boost. meaning it's a hell of a lot easier to get high boost on a turbo then on a SC.

I think my main point for you is that if you don't consider a FI upgrade worth the money you can't expect a NA upgrade such as $3k in Mugen Intake, and ECU worth the money. If search function was working properly you could look in UTH for the many threads dealing with the Mugen ECU and dyno comparisons. With the upgrade your main benefit is the bump in midrange power, you also get a more consistent power. It doesn't seem to lose anything due to heat (temp changes) as the stock ecu has.
Old 11-18-2002, 04:45 PM

yeah, its easier in general, but not necessarily, with a supercharger as large as the one that comes on the S2000 kits, im pretty sure with the right pulley it should be a breeze for those superchargers to flow as much as 17psi and make big power- but starting out at 5g's + money for internals, thats A LOT OF CHEESE!!

its not that i dont think FI is worth it, just that all of these supercharger kits are NOT worth it. yes they are bolt in and are easy to install, but dont offer too much for the price.

i would much rather go with a custom turbo setup + internal upgrades for a lot less money if i was to go FI.

With the upgrade your main benefit is the bump in midrange power, you also get a more consistent power. It doesn't seem to lose anything due to heat (temp changes) as the stock ecu has.
ahh here we go, this is the type of info im looking for. thanks.

the Mugen intake is slight over kill, and i think the AEM would be a better solution. the Mugen computer is worth it i think because Mugen did the dyno work and R/D, something that me or my dad doesnt want to have to go through again with Standalone ecus like (Haltek,Electromotive, DTA - i had electromotive on my corolla, and sure as hell dont wanna have to go through tuning again- its a pain in the Arse) and because it is a comlete replacement and can be put back to stock easily.

what is UTH? ill search that
Old 11-18-2002, 04:49 PM

$5K for a turbo kit with pistons, rings, etc.? this isn't a corrola. I know, you can probably get it going much faster, but you'll need to shell out a decent 15-20K (no joke, others' bills have totalled more than that and are still working on being the fastest) just to get all of this stuff. working right, tuned right, it takes time w/this car, its just too new.
Old 11-18-2002, 05:07 PM

$5K for a turbo kit with pistons, rings, etc.? this isn't a corrola.
this isnt a corolla? what was the point of that comment? all the custom pieces in my corolla would cost u the same money as custom peices made for an S2000.
i already did the numbers for a turbo kit, and these are real prices. dont know who makes yall parts or if they are gold plated but..
manifold+wastegate=800, turbo=700, piping+intercooler=1000, downpipe+hiflow cat=250, manual boost controller= 80--- thats all the main parts and thats under 3g's
all this is about equivalent to the supercharger kit- all bolt on and all external and a lot less cheaper. i forgot blow off valve - add 200.

15k-20k???? lol. where did u get those prices???lol
Old 11-18-2002, 05:17 PM

Originally posted by 23psi4age

this isnt a corolla? what was the point of that comment?
The Corolla has been out for how long? The engine has gone through how many revs? How many manufacturers make pieces for this car's block: pistons/rods/etc.? I wasn't knocking the corolla at all, its just difficult to get pistons/rods, etc without waiting months for them and paying a premium for them as well. There's nothing gold plated about them, just time and dollars.

Originally posted by 23psi4age

all the custom pieces in my corolla would cost u the same money as custom peices made for an S2000.
Not really. But not to knock the idea and enthusiasm, but I'd love to wager that one.

and where did I get those prices? hmmm, I've been around here for a while, lets see, I sell performance parts for this car (no turbos) and have customers with turbos. heck, even cjb80 has a turbo on his, and quite a developed long block as well - it wasn't cheap. built to be durable, yes. you should check it out:
http://www.chrisdrivesafastcar.com/

btw, he hasn't updated it in a while but you can find a lot of his info in the under the hood forum.
Old 11-18-2002, 05:47 PM

parts on my car were all custom....like they would be for an S2000....yeah they might not be as much for an S2000, but prices would be very very similar.

and the price i listed on that turbo kit, is what my mechanic would charge to make one in general, not how much to make one for a corolla......

im not arguing that it would be expensive to turbo an S2000 properly

im just saying that i would rather turbo an S2000 rather than Supercharge it cuz it would be cheaper- i figure a custom turbo kit ~ $3200 + misc. stuff (full 3inch ex., electronic boost controller, oil feed+return lines) = $4000 total installed VS supercharger kit ~$5000 not installed + ?$1000 (install + 3inch exh.) = $6000 total installed.

and im also saying that even after the supercharge and turbo charge, all that work = small gains because it is done to a N/A motor that cant handle boost, and is only worthwhile with internal work - sleeves/pistons/rods/rings/headbolts/rodbolts/head gasket.

if you think 100hp for $6000 is a good deal, something is seriously wrong.
Old 11-18-2002, 08:03 PM
Former Moderator

Actually you can get the SC kits to closer to $4k without installation. Plus a 3 inch exhaust isn't necessary on a SC as power is made differently. The SC's used in the Vortech and Comptech kits are not able to pump out 17psi. They max out around 12psi. They smaller pulley is cheap $100+ bucks. So with the 2" pulley you would be running close to 340hp at the wheels (or close to 400 at the crank) with a good engine management system, intercooler, and injectors.

Quick Reply: Need Impressions on Mugen/Spoon/Upgrade ECU