S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Need Impressions on Mugen/Spoon/Upgrade ECU

Old 11-16-2002, 06:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Impressions on Mugen/Spoon/Upgrade ECU

Hows it goin erbody. i just wanted to get some feed back on Ecu's for the S2000. i know that their arent many options besides the Spoon and Mugen computers, but does anybody know of any other upgrades?

any body with either the spoon or mugen ecu have any comments on advantages and power gains etc...

thanks in advance
Old 11-17-2002, 07:58 PM

wow, nobody has these or any suggestions??

how bout the Amuse or Backyard special (i think its called backyard something).

my dad wants a lil more power out of his S2000, and im sure their is a few more hp to be extracted from the stock engine through an ecu upgrade.

i had the Mugen N1 ECU in my '98 Integra Type-R and it was a great improvement, just wondering if i can expect the same improvement in the S2000.
Old 11-18-2002, 07:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mods will be VERY minimal in gains, but they will be somewhat feelable to the butt dyno. Mugen has a great setup, but dollar for dollar - you can get much better performance by just dropping several thousand on a supercharger. its all what is important to your dad.

ecu upgrade isn't bad, but you should can try out less expensive pieces, maybe a V-AFC which is proven to give a few horses.

a mugen header/exhaust and ecu will not dissapoint your dad - its just not exactly the cheapest route to go.
Old 11-18-2002, 02:42 PM

cool, thanks for the reply-

so how bout this setup, what kinda power could i expect from this setup-

-AEM intake
-Mugen ECU
-Hi-FLo catalytic converter
-stock header and stock mufflers

im guessing like 20hp gain, and that the engine would pull way harder towards the redline.

just tryin to get the most out of the stock setup.

i also think the supercharger is bullshyt with stock internals- kinda stupid to pay so much to run such low boost, and supercharger+ internal work + fuel system upgrade is BIG $$$$$

if u gonna boost, Go BIG BOOST!!! i think the S2000 motor is good enough, i just know that it is running very conservative being a LEV and that a good ECU program could free up a bunch of power, just like in the RSX-S (hondata has like +30hp with Intake+ECU on the RSX) and it is a similar engine to the S2000
Old 11-18-2002, 02:46 PM

1 - its not your car, its your dad's. so if he wants to dump ~5k for an SC, its well worth the money if you've ever taking a ride or even driven one. its up to the owner - NA vs. FI.
2 - those kind of combos, they might work, they might not. thing is with this car, you will not get 20hp, I can guarantee that.
3 - this car is very twitchy with mods, sometimes you can dump 6K in mods and you'll lose power. different combinations equate different gains or losses. sometimes it is a hit or miss. but honestly, with the mugen ECU, for the price, get an AEM EMS and take it to a dyno shop and tune away.
4 - although the RSX Type S is similar, its quite different and the F20C does not squeeze out extra hp from a few mods. its quite pushed to the limit from the factory and the gains will be very minimal w/whatever you do. trust me on this.
Old 11-18-2002, 03:02 PM

1 - its not your car, its your dad's. so if he wants to dump ~5k for an SC, its well worth the money if you've ever taking a ride or even driven one. its up to the owner - NA vs. FI.
- not neccessary. its our car, and i'm involved in any deicions he makes regarding the car. why do you think i am posting on this site? we think the supercharger is not worth the money considering its such low boost. If you've ever ridin in a car running 6psi versus running 25psi, you know what im talking about. coming from my corolla pushing 25psi, if you go FI- you might as well prepare the engine to handle big boost and get the most u can out of the turbo or supercharger.

more power is just a pulley away, or on a turbo car, a stiffer wastegate spring/ turn of the boost controller away....

but again thanks for the insite. sounds like an AEM and Hi-Flo cat are the best bet in terms of being cost effective.
Old 11-18-2002, 03:13 PM

AEM will be worth it, but the hi flo cat will be minimal at best. the cat is pretty much straight through on this car, unlike others. if you want to go with an offroad exhaust, I have seveveral of those too - but you get the check engine light and something will need to be done about that.

I'm quite sure the low boost is different in this car than the high boost in other cars - I've been there and done that, and even though it is a pulley away, the clearances on this car, esp. at 11:1 compression is a major limitation - at least for my nerves.
Old 11-18-2002, 03:26 PM

I've got the latest Hyper Rev no 76 from Japan and it states that the Mugen air box coupled with the ECU will get you 24.5ps...
Old 11-18-2002, 03:29 PM

fyi for those that want to know: one horsepower is equal to 1.0139 ps, and I doubt that is at the wheels. you might be able to get that at the crank.
Old 11-18-2002, 03:39 PM

I am not sure if it is at the crankor the wheels as I can't read Japanese but if it helps, it was done using a Dyno jet.

The strange thing is that the stockcar dynoed at 237ps which could be at the wheels as the stock ps at the crank is supposed to be 250...

Quick Reply: Need Impressions on Mugen/Spoon/Upgrade ECU