S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Need Help....jerkng in first gear

Old 12-07-2002, 03:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help....jerkng in first gear

hi everyone I just bought mine used '01 s2000
when the car is in first gear @ around 3000~4000RPM, if I lift off the throttle the car jerks, is that normal or has anyone experienced this?
thanks in advance for your input
Old 12-07-2002, 04:09 AM

Not exactly sure what you mean by "the car jerks"? If you're referring to the sudden lack of acceleration brought on by a lift-throttle, that's completely normal. There's also something known as "flywheel effect" which is more apparent when using unsmooth throttle movements in low gear. Basically the S, like most Hondas, doesn't like sudden applications/liftings of the throttle in first gear, it's very difficult to be smooth in first and you should really only use first gear when accelerating. If you have to lift off the throttle/brake in first, push in the clutch at the same time. Hope this helps-

Duncan
Old 12-07-2002, 04:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Be smooth on the throttle. A high compression engine in first provides a lot of engine braking when you lift off the throttle.
Old 12-07-2002, 06:24 AM

This commonly occurs when going over a bump. Your right foot shifts slightly fore and aft, creating a small throttle movement. This sets up a driver induced oscillation (DIO?) because as the car jerks back and forth your foot does too, making the situation progressively worse. Consciously keeping your foot still when transiting rough surfaces in 1st gear helps. But, sometimes you'll have to depress the clutch and smoothly re-engage.
Old 12-07-2002, 06:39 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Are you talking about one single jerk or a series of oscillations? If it's one jerk on throttle lift off, then this is simply the drive train closing up all those little gaps between gear teeth, etc. I take it if this is the case, you've never owned a high revving manual car? An automatic would "insulate you against this sort of "back-lash. A low revving/low compression engined manual car wouldn't give you enough compression braking for you to feel this jerk.
If it is a series of oscillations, then it is most likely a sensor problem and you'll need to dig deeper or have the dealer look at it. I could alos mean something like the clutch is badly worn but you'd know this by its performance in aceleration too. Similarly if you had sheared off teeth in your tranny or diff, you'd feel this during normal driving and not just in deceleration.
Old 12-07-2002, 06:45 AM

Originally posted by Lunacy
hi everyone I just bought mine used '01 s2000
when the car is in first gear @ around 3000~4000RPM, if I lift off the throttle the car jerks, is that normal or has anyone experienced this?
thanks in advance for your input
Good question......I was wondering the same thing!!!
Old 12-07-2002, 09:00 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by djohnston
[B]Not exactly sure what you mean by "the car jerks"?
Old 12-07-2002, 10:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Liebernoodle
[B]
I think Duncan has the right idea.
Old 12-07-2002, 03:47 PM
psi

Mine did it when i was in traffic going at a real low steady rpm and then I rolled into the throttle slowly, it would hesitate, fuel pump was changed out and it solved it completely, also noticed more power after 6k.....
Old 12-07-2002, 03:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My RSX did this as does my S2000. You just need to be smooth with the throttle.

Quick Reply: Need Help....jerkng in first gear