S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

need help with extended warranty

Old 11-08-2001, 05:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tried to get a quote from Warrantybynet.com. After providing all requested information, the result was:

Old 11-08-2001, 05:20 PM

I have the 7/75,000 mile/zero deductible one and 7 years of roadside assistance and auto club like services. I was in a similar situation like Barry W and negotiate a special price from AHM for my warranty since my car's engine developed the #4 cylinder problem. AHM took great care of me just like they always have.

When they offered me the extended warranty at delivery they quoted me $1,400 (?) a few days later I got a call saying that they could now sell me the warranty at $1,200. I think there is plenty of room for negotiating here, IMO. I was told by an inside source that you can get them as low as $1,000.

I have not used the auto club yet, but they do have a requirement that you have to request travel/direction assistance 3-4 weeks in advance.
Old 11-09-2001, 05:40 AM

I just wanted to add that the warranties are expensive, but most of the time you get a majority of your money back when you sell your car if you have not used the warranty. Basically I gave AHM $1,000 to assure me that they will fix my car and they will give me back about $900 when I sell my car if I didn't need their coverage.
Old 11-09-2001, 08:18 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by stocks2k
[B]I just wanted to add that the warranties are expensive, but most of the time you get a majority of your money back when you sell your car if you have not used the warranty.
Old 11-09-2001, 08:35 AM

Don't quote me on the exact percentages, but it was a vast majority that I got refunded on my last car. I would just ask when you are looking at the particular companies what the refund policy is.
Old 11-09-2001, 08:54 AM

Cambridge Honda in Massachusetts is offering Extended warranty for every new Honda that you purchase from them 6yrs/100,000 miles for free. That's if you service it with them though.

Yes, the finance Manager will make commission on Extended Warranties.

BTW, if you decided you don't want Extended Warranty after you have brought your S2K. There is still time to have it taken out. I think a 3 month period.

I brought Extended Warranty for my Honda Prelude and cancel the next month.
Old 11-09-2001, 10:57 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Silver8179
[B]Cambridge Honda in Massachusetts is offering Extended warranty for every new Honda that you purchase from them 6yrs/100,000 miles for free.
Old 11-09-2001, 07:51 PM

Received 5,786 Likes on 3,407 Posts

dang s2k_la this thread won't die.... actually it's kinda interesting to me cause a year or so ago, I was odd man out not going for the Honda peace of mind.
Old 11-10-2001, 02:52 AM

I was just in Finance Office of my Honda Dealer today with that same question. They shared with me that their policy was to make $250 on any warranty upgrade. The 5/1000 was around $795 cost, I think, can't remember specific.

However what he did share that stayed with me was the fact that they update extended warranty pricing twice per year to reflect the raising cost of replacement parts. The current Honda extend is in place until 1 JAN 02. Good luck. (I still opted to wait until 2002 anyway.)

For me I believe that the engine and drive components are probably rock solid, but the other non Honda Mfg but supplied parts are the risk issue. As is the electrical and computer stuff. Imaging the cost to replace the display or some of the wiring harness' and connectors. Better to have it covered up to 5/100,000 or more than to pay out of pocket later.
Old 11-10-2001, 09:54 AM

Here's my .02 for the three of us that won't let this thread die:

I checked on WarrantybyNet.com and got great quotes same as gohiking. They are definitely cheaper that AHM and since I rarely get routine maintenance done at dealers it would make more sense for me to go with a 3rd party warranty.

Before I get flamed for not going to the dealer, everyone has an opinion on the competance of dealers - my dad used to own a Honda dealership, so I have my own opinion and therefore prefer to go to independent shops that specialize in Honda/Acura.

Having said all that, I will probably wait until the 3/36 factory is about to expire before deciding whether or not to get an extended warranty. Why? As I said my dad used to have a dealership, so I know why they love to sell these. Lots of margin and the first 3 years is covered under factory warranty, so they are making interest on your hard earned money for a minimum of three years. I'm not really into making dealers money. Plus I am buying a third year production vehicle. Knowing that the 3rd year will be much more reliable that years 1 and 2 (I was a Mechanical Engineer in a former life), I would imagine warranty claims will remain low and an extended warranty will not cost much more three years from today.

Jimbo

Quick Reply: need help with extended warranty