S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Need help with custom exhaust

Old 11-12-2007, 10:45 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Need help with custom exhaust

Ive called a couple of places to fabricate a custom single exhaust. I have a muffler with a 2.5 inch inlet which I'm currently using on my dual setup.

I tried looking for a local shop which had 2.75 inch but have not been able to find one which carried that size. Also, they dont use manderel bends but crush bends which ive heard are not as good. Does the bend make that much of a difference in the performance.

Currently running a stock exhaust with two aftermarket mufflers but want to upgrade to a single exhaust without paying 600-1000 for the tr1 single.

Also, want to install a resonator which this setup since I've heard it can be pretty loud.

Any ideas which can help me out or suggestions.

Thanks
Old 11-12-2007, 11:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, mandrel is better than crush bends, but I don't know of a side-by-side comparison of the two on an S so I won't even speculate.

Not one shop uses mandrel bends? Keep looking. If they don't have the 2.75 that you want, then look elsewhere! I'm not quite sure what advice you're looking for other than to keep looking.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:12 PM

basically, is it worth getting an exhaust 2.75 with crush bends or would it be better for me to keep the stock exhaust like I have it. Do you think I would lose performance.

Im still looking around for shops. Plus may need to find a resonator that piping size.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:19 PM

i tried to do the same as you, i wasnt able to find 2.75" piping at all. I looked at ss piping suppliers, nobody had piping that size. If you want that size, you are better off getting the T1R.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:27 PM

Is 3 inch that big of a difference. Plus the exhaust I have now sound great on the car but are a bit loud. The drone also with this dual setup is a bit much even after the resonator was installed.

Has anyone tried magnaflow mufflers. Ive heard they are much quieter and most of the time sound like stock without much restriction.

Also, do resonators really restrict the air flow through the exhaust. .
Old 11-12-2007, 12:40 PM

My setup ended up being 3" header back to a muffler, no resonator. It was extremely loud, I liked it. I wouldn't recomend it though. If you want a really high quality muffler of whatever size you want, check out burns stainless. Custom length, diameter and super light. Comes at a hefty price though... Great customer service BTW.
Old 11-12-2007, 02:01 PM

did you feel a power loss mid-range with that setup. I have the stock headers and cat. Was thinking about removing the cat after the exhaust was installed but wasn't sure yet.

Do resonators reduce the performance of the exhaust. I belive my mufflers I currently have are too loud even with a good resonator. I was thinking about switching to a magnaflow muffler like many have done here with their stock systems.

From what they have reported, the noise level barely increases compared to stock. With the mufflers I have now, its a big difference compared to stock.
Old 11-12-2007, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by rikhemi,Nov 12 2007, 03:12 PM
basically, is it worth getting an exhaust 2.75 with crush bends or would it be better for me to keep the stock exhaust like I have it. Do you think I would lose performance.

Im still looking around for shops. Plus may need to find a resonator that piping size.
I wouldn't get crush bent. Not only does it disrupt airflow but it also reduces the interior diameter by a good bit. So instead of it being 2.75" in the bend it would be under 2.5.
Old 11-12-2007, 02:30 PM

So would it make sense if thats the only option I have here to get a 3 inch pipe or it wouldnt matter.

I may have found a local place which has 2.75 inch piping and manderel bends.

Plus I emailed Turbo-Mafia.com to see if they have a custom exhaust like the one I'm looking for.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:59 AM

Ok, today this morning whent to a muffler shop which from what I've seen are the only ones who offer manderel bends. They unfortunatelly had only 2.5 or 3 inch. They advised me also that where the cat connects to the exhaust, the flange that they couldnt expand that and that they dont have any flanges to customize that would fit. So basically, in that little area, I would have the stock diameter and then after the 2.5 or 3 inch exhaust. I thought this idea sounded very bad if I were to get a test pipe since this would create a bottle neck effect.

Price he quoted me with muffler, resonator and single exhaust piping(ss) was 400.

Pm turbo mafia to see what his prices are..(s2ki sponsor).

Ive read in a post that a 3 inch exhaust would still create power without you losing mid range on a stock motor. Do you agree. MOst advise on a stock motor. 2.75 is the way to go, if I can go three without losing low end, mid-range, ill take it..

Quick Reply: Need help with custom exhaust