S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Need help in buying an S2k

Old 12-29-2006, 01:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help in buying an S2k

I'm looking at '04 S2k's right now. I have two options, buy a certified 04 with 15-20k on it for around 24.5k. Or, I can buy a non certified for around 22k with somewhere between 20-30k. My question is this, an 04 with that low of miles should have a little bit of the factory warranty left, would it be wiser to by a non certified car then buy an extended warranty? How much is the extended warranty and how does it differ from the certified warranty? By the way, if you know if any low mileage 04 silverstones in the NC area let me know. What would you guys do?
-Matt
Old 12-29-2006, 03:18 PM

A certified car goes through a more thorough safety inspection that a regular car that goes through a standard safety at a dealer.

It is also stardard with the Honda Warantee just like a brand new car, but stretches your bumper to bumper to 48k and your powertrain to 100k.

You also have an easier transaction to get a deal bought from the bank, with it being a certified car....aka they have special rates and more prone to approve the client.

When you get your regular car an extended warantee, itll run about 1800-2500 anyways, making your cost difference for the certified car with less miles in your case.

Now I can only speak from my store, but if a car is a honda and it is NOT certified and could have been, the car was bought for too much money and the certification could not have been put into the deal with a decent profit margin. Or the car is not able to be put together with the same rigorous inspection (aka replacing a part) maintaining a decent profit margin.

I know some stores that would sell a rusted up car underneath as a regular car and not a certified car since it does not pass the strict guidelines for instance. We just send them to auction.
Old 12-29-2006, 03:28 PM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

I would buy the car from a private party, save the money, and not get the extended warrantee.

It's essentially an insurance policy which I think is useless to most of the owners I've spoken with. I, personally, did get some valuable warrantee work done with my 3/36 new car, but I have not gotten any extension, and won't.

"Certified" is meaningless from a practical point of view with an S2000 (again, my opinoin). The cars are built well, and frankly most dealers don't know what they're doing. Take it to a competent, trusted mechanic who can do the work in your region. Check the regional forums for some ideas.
Old 12-29-2006, 03:48 PM

If you are going to mod it the warranty will not do you any good.

I say buy the non-certified car (check carfax first). 9/10 certified cars are not really inspected anyway they just look them over and charge you extra for the warranty.