S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Need Advice on Painting Calipers!!!!!

Old 02-08-2004, 07:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Advice on Painting Calipers!!!!!

I am going to be painting my calipers red with the G2 paint system. I was wondering how do I get the best appearance? Has anyone or, should i grind the calipers down smooth? Or does everyone just clean them up real good and paint? What do you guys/girls do? I grinded down my friends on his CL and we painted silver with high temp. spray paint. It looked real nice untill a couple of weeks later, when rust starrted forming on the calipers. Is there a coating on the stock calipers to prevent them from rusting like raw metal?

Our calipers are rough to the touch. I want the look of the Ricks power coated calipers. If i grind down will it make the paint harder to stick??? Maybe the little bit of roughness will hide the brush strokes!!! I don't know that is why i am asking for advice.

I would go with a big brake kit but i need to use my stock rims in the winter b/c of the weather here in NJ.

WHAT SHOULD I DO!!!!!!!!
Any advice will be will be a great help!!!!!!!!!

Thanks in advance
Kenny
Ken_S2K@yahoo.com
Old 02-08-2004, 07:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just my advice, if you want the look of Rick's powder coated calipers then get Rick's powder coated calipers.

You can grind them down before you paint but some say that is not necessary with the G2, just do a few coats and you'll never know the difference.

If that's true or not, I don't know.
Old 02-08-2004, 09:44 AM

Thanks......I just cant see paying that much for ricks calipers.
BTW does any one have pics of G2 in red on calipers???????
If so did u just paint of did u grind them down??????
Old 02-08-2004, 10:06 AM

i tried G2, but i didn't like how it came out, mostly cuz i don't have the steady hands for painting. so, i found a reputable powdercoater around town, and he did mine for $35/each.

he did much better work than i ever could. the fronts are sherwin's big brake kit and the rears are a stock set up (the rotors were stock that were drilled, slotted, and cadmium plated).

Old 02-08-2004, 10:06 AM

I have the red calipers but no pics to show, sorry. You will love the results with the G2 system if you take your time and prep things correctly.

I would recommend grinding the casting marks down and smoothing out the dimpled "face" of the calipers. I have seen the results of just painting and painting with grinding/sanding, and the results are mucho better when you smooth the calipers out.

Using a Dremel and some various grades of sandpaper will get the job done nicely. Just be sure to take your time and allow enough time to do it properly. Grinding will double or tripple the time required.

Also DON'T use the brushes provided by G2. Get some artist type brushes from a hoby store so the hairs wont pull out. If you can 3 coats will give an extrodinary finish you will be very happy with
Old 02-08-2004, 11:35 AM

Thanks Ninegrand!!!!!!!!
Anyone with pics of them grinded and painted up close????
Old 02-08-2004, 01:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ken,
A member of the So Fla club used the G2 paint on his calipers & I think they came out looking awesome. You can PM Ganthet if you need specific info on it. I know the one thing he said he wished he did differently is to jack up the car, take all the tires off, tape up the roters, etc. and then paint. He didn't do this & towards the end, the paint for the last caliper was kind of "goopy" and he wasn't as happy w/ it as the rest of them. I'll see if he can post some pictures for you.
Old 02-08-2004, 02:16 PM

Yeah the G2 system has a fairly short pot life and it's best to have all the prep done and then paint. If you only have one set of stands you can mix the 2 parts (correct ratios of course) in a seperate container. I found beer cans cut in half with the sharp edges rolled down worked great. It also improved my attitiude and steadied my hands

Keep in mind the first coat won't look all that great, but as you get the next coat or two on things will look great.
Old 05-11-2004, 01:25 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by KenGPW
I am going to be painting my calipers red with the G2 paint system.
Old 05-11-2004, 03:14 PM

there's no need to worry about rust. that's why your car is painted ... to avoid rust and for protection. same thing will apply if you paint your calipers.

Quick Reply: Need Advice on Painting Calipers!!!!!