S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

need Advice on insurance claims......

Old 10-24-2005, 06:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need Advice on insurance claims......

Ok I had a wreck about three weeks ago....My car was fixed and the insurance told me there was a carlife warranty on the job.....they wrote the estimate and didn't fix a spot on the rear bumper and I think the paint doesn't match in some places....Also when I took the car out of the shop I thought the exhaust had a funny sound, so I though it was loose from one of the bolts and was leaking....so I took it to a muffler shop and they lifted it and we looked at it from the bottom with the car on and noticed there is a crack going around the resonator.....I have a JIC Full Ti Single Tip, they told me since is Titanium the can't weld it so Do you think there is a chance for me of getting a new Exhaust from Insurance being aftermarket?????? I'll appreciate all your comments...Thanks

D.
Old 10-24-2005, 06:59 AM

Depends greatly on your insurance company. Typically they will tell you that you should have modified your policy for the custom addons such as your exhaust. Some will go ahead and fix the problem but typically won't be happy about it and sometimes will warn you to add any customizations to your policy. It also depends on if this is a claim against your insurance or someone elses insurance. You should document all the problems and the fixes or lack of.
Old 10-24-2005, 07:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depends on your company and the shop you took it to. If it was a shop your insurance specified then they should take care of any problems hassle free. If it was the latter (a shop of your choosing) it's between you and the shop. Aftermarket goodies can usually be replaced if it's still on the car...it being ON the car usually serves as proof. You have to push a little bit.
Old 10-24-2005, 07:52 AM

Another thing that might possibly hinder you getting a new exhaust is (i think) that all exhaust modifications are for "Off Road" or "Track Use" only. I thought that any modifications to the exhaust system made the car basically not street legal. I just heard this somewhere, and also heard that all exhaust systems have to have something printed on the box that they are not for road use.

Dunno if this is true, or not, I just remember reading it somewhere, as since the car was undoubtedly wrecked on the street, you were using the exhaust in a manner other than intended. (Technically speaking)

John
Old 10-24-2005, 08:48 AM

I really appreciate all you comments and advices....I'll be taking it this afternoon to show them a couple spots and tell them about the exhaust.....I keep this updated...Thanks

D.
Old 10-24-2005, 09:31 AM

Received 121 Likes on 96 Posts

You should be able to it fixed on insurance, the appraiser didn't do a complete job. Other people can weld TI, maybe not them if all fails...
Old 10-24-2005, 09:50 AM
VR4

they would likely be willing to replace it with stock.

get them to cut you a check for a stock catback and use it to either have this 1 fixed properly or buy a new 1 and sell the broken 1 to me
Old 10-24-2005, 09:56 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by CIVICTOS2000,Oct 24 2005, 07:51 AM
Ok I had a wreck about three weeks ago....My car was fixed and the insurance told me there was a carlife warranty on the job.....they wrote the estimate and didn't fix a spot on the rear bumper and I think the paint doesn't match in some places....Also when I took the car out of the shop I thought the exhaust had a funny sound, so I though it was loose from one of the bolts and was leaking....so I took it to a muffler shop and they lifted it and we looked at it from the bottom with the car on and noticed there is a crack going around the resonator.....I have a JIC Full Ti Single Tip, they told me since is Titanium the can't weld it so Do you think there is a chance for me of getting a new Exhaust from Insurance being aftermarket?????? I'll appreciate all your comments...Thanks

D.
So you'd like your insurance company to cover an expensive aftermarket modification that you weren't paying additional premium on?

They should cover the paint issues.