S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

nasty CHP trick

Old 08-01-2005, 07:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default nasty CHP trick

i just experienced a nasty trick by the california highway patrol.. on 210 freeway..

i just merged into the freeway as a CHP was driving by me.. and then he all of sudden slows down at around 70mph and keeps it at that speed for like 7 miles.. and seriously EVERYBODY got behind him and not one tried to pass him including me. and then one ford focus on the 1st lane kinda sped up a lil to get near the CHP and the CHP cuts in front of him and flashes his yellow lights for like 2 seconds.. to warn the focus driver i guess.. and then the CHP just moves around from lane to lane keeping everybody at below 70mph

all of sudden, about a mile ahead of an exit, the CHP speeds up like crazy and exits out of the freeway... and one by one, including myself started speeding up back up to like 80mph(my normal freeway speed). i was in the lead of my pack behind me.. and then as i was passing the freeway incoming ramp, there he was!! the CHP enters right back into the freeway!! i got so freaked out i let my throttle out and within seconds i was back down to 70mph.. and the CHP catches this other car that was speeding up wen the CHP disappeared..

horrible experiences.. goodthing that i was able to spot the CHP entering back into the freeway..

anybody have any other experiences like this?
Old 08-01-2005, 07:55 PM

I'm a supporter of the police, but that kind of stuff is pathetic. It's called a rolling road block.
Old 08-01-2005, 08:02 PM

well yea me too.. they are there to help us.. but i kinda felt like sh*t haha
Old 08-01-2005, 08:03 PM

I've seen CHP do stuff like that. I've seen times where everybody on the freeway is going like 80mph, and a cop comes out of nowhere onto the freeway, turns on his lights so everybody slows down and gets behind him, and then slows down to the speed limit and starts weaving left and right in the middle of the road as if to say "slow it down, people". I have actually seen this a few times in the bay area. Figured it was something that is/was being taught to them as a method of controlling traffic when speeds start getting out of hand.
Old 08-01-2005, 08:09 PM

Um, actually it's called a traffic break, and it's main purpose is to slow traffic down so that an obstruction up ahead (accident, ladder, mattress, etc.) can be safely removed from one side of the freeway to the other, or off the freeway completely.

Just because you don't SEE the reason behind the traffic break doesn't mean there isn't one.

Also, the "trick" of exiting the freeway and getting right back on... that's like the oldest one in the book. I'm surprised your driving instructor didn't explain that one to you .

Always watch your 6. ALWAYS.
Old 08-01-2005, 08:17 PM

thats nothing new. now everytime im on the freeway i always give the freeway entrances a quick glance as i pass them up.

i've seen cops that dont even exit but rather slow down in the far right lanes (as if he/she was exiting) for a few miles and then speed up.

luckily you didnt get caught.
Old 08-01-2005, 08:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by icecreamballer,Aug 2 2005, 03:48 AM
i got so freaked out
"I'm freakin' out maaaaan!"
Old 08-01-2005, 08:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this shit happened to me once too..the thing is, the cop was behind me and flashed his yellows when i was going around 70 mph. i lift off the throttle, expecting to be pulled over, but instead, he flies past me, and like you said, switched lane to lane with his lights on, and everybody just stayed back

he did it for a few seconds before he sped off. i thought he was some dick trying to play a joke or something
Old 08-01-2005, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by i_heart_my_DB8,Aug 1 2005, 09:09 PM
Um, actually it's called a traffic break, and it's main purpose is to slow traffic down so that an obstruction up ahead (accident, ladder, mattress, etc.) can be safely removed from one side of the freeway to the other, or off the freeway completely.
I've seen this twice recently and it was more like a figure 8 than a weave. Both times were to get a blown semi tire out of the lane. The chip would actually open his door while doing the figure 8 and catch the tire and drag it to the shoulder. Seemed a little excessive the way they did it.
Old 08-01-2005, 11:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

CHP was harassing a friend and I going to Vegas....
like 10 miles on and off the freeway.... Bastard
has no one else to harass....
we were only 10mph over the posted 65mph
at a 75mph
so he finally gives us the red light
and the shoulder has a 1/2 wall for construction...
We are trying to inch into the shoulder...
then he lights up ALL his F-ing light...
we still go 40mph.... Now We can see anything

(This is on I-15 to Vegas and not a light for miles....
just a car head lights every few minutes.... back in 1994
when it was cool to just fly by night )

Friend LAUNCHES on the breaks... we could hear the cop car lockup
1 foot off out bumper.... he harass us for 10-15 minute....
and I ask the cop why is he stopping us....
Aaaaa well there was a stolden car report and we are checking things out

Then I ask to speak to his supervisor / sergeant That ther is no purpose for this stop
we are being harassed....30 seconds later he hand back the lic/ insurance/reg
back and said keep a safe speed....

Were are gone........ that must have been the only cop for miles....
there after we were flying all the way to state line 120mph

Many years ago....... but I'm still pissed.... I should have filed a complaint

Quick Reply: nasty CHP trick