S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Nagging issues preventing friend from pulling the trigger...

Old 07-14-2003, 06:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Boxsters have some nasty engine failure problems, good luck servicing it when it breaks. A friend of mine was looking for a used Boxster and found quite a few with less than 50k miles and freshly rebuilt engines. Porsches have good reputations for durability because of the bulletproof 911 but do not expect the same from a Boxster.

Then, of course, there's the Boxster interior that reminds me of a base Ford Ranger. Yuck.
Old 07-14-2003, 06:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it isn't broke, don't fix it. Tell him to stick with the Boxster.

The S2000 engine is fine, the 2003 has the upgraded banjo bolts and very few if any 2003s have had an engine failure.

The biggest issue is the tranny and diff. If you friend decides to get one and if he one of the unlucky few to have a problem with his S, be prepared for a battle with Honda for warranty work. Honda thinks the S is bulletproof or something.
Old 07-14-2003, 07:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, being the subject of conversation I only feel it pertinent to offer my 2 cents (as well as maybe defend myself from a few others).

The car is a great car. Nothing better. Your friend is wise to consider the change. In terms on my situation, I admit I was probably partially to blame, as I was driving maybe a little to hard for the wet conditions here in Florida. Being that I just moved here, I must admit the roads here are DEFINTELY a lot slicker when just plain wet than they are in Colorado, where I just moved from. I think the limits in wet conditions that I am accustomed to are different in my new state. Right after the accident my father even felt guilty because he new I was taking it out and says he forgot to mention how the roads are here compared to what we are all used to.

So to BillK, your friend should have no problems with oversteer in this car. I think I might have done the same if I were in a Boxter as well. (Although I also agree that most people with porsche's can't afford to get a parking ticket, much less wreck them, so they tend to drive a lot more conservatively).

And I'd apprecite if others weren't so quick to make generalizations and stereotype people they know nothing about. Like I'm the only one who has ever wrecked a car. Keep your patronizing comments to yourself.