S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

The myth of synthitic oil...

Old 11-14-2000, 01:32 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What about 0W-30?
Old 11-14-2000, 01:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey mingster, I do believe that is a direct benefit of the placebo effect. After all, my car seems smoother right after I wax it. Coincidence? I know what you say, but mathematically speaking, on a finite level, yes it should run smoother. Would you be able to feel it? Doubtful.
Old 11-14-2000, 01:33 PM

Or how about Castrol Syntec's 5W-50? That should offer the best protection out of any oil around?
Old 11-14-2000, 01:34 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have used 5W30 in every car I ever owned in this very hot climate and would in a cold one as well. I think the most common recommendation out of Japan is 10W30.

All of the American manufacturers recommend 5W30 and I think one says that you must use that weight to keep your warranty in force.

You pick it.

Old 11-14-2000, 01:36 PM

Originally posted by Ldogdotcom:
Hey mingster, I do believe that is a direct benefit of the placebo effect. After all, my car seems smoother right after I wax it. Coincidence? I know what you say, but mathematically speaking, on a finite level, yes it should run smoother. Would you be able to feel it? Doubtful.

my wife didn't know about the oil change, she only commented "oh! how come your engine seems to be running smoother now?" and i told her i changed oil.

no placebo effect here
Old 11-14-2000, 01:38 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mingster:
[B] my wife didn't know about the oil change, she only commented "oh! how come your engine seems to be running smoother now?" and i told her i changed oil.

no placebo effect here
Old 11-14-2000, 01:45 PM

And, don't even get her started on the "changing your oil and filter every 3000 miles" hype.
So what would she or others say about when to change the oil? I am thinking for the average driver not someone who takes it to the track.

Old 11-14-2000, 01:48 PM

The 0-30, 5-30, even the 10-40 are probably marketing trick thats why they try so hard to push them. The only thing they offer is energy conservation of a very small degree and good cold start characteristics only for Very cold climates. I would only use the specified viscocity if running a car with hydraulic valve actuatos as they might get noisy. Hook up an oil pressure gauge in your car and try both 10-30 and 15-50 .First you'll see that they built pressure at the same rate at cold start. Then take it redline at high speeds on a hot day. The 10-30 will eventualy cause a dramatic drop in pressure and may even not built up again even after cooled down. It happened to me when I insisted using 10-30 on my Miata. Additionally I just took appart my Sidekicks motor due to a cracked head. The car had 323000km or 202000miles driven in a way it shouldnt be, and using 15-50 since 1000km despite manual recomendation. Bearings are perfect, valve steams too ,cylinder walls show no sign of polishing everything in general is in no need for rebuilding or changing (exept head). I can also assure you that the first B16 V-tec engines produced around 1990 (europe-japan) specified 15-50. Later on because of energy conservation thing they redesigned the bearings (thicker) and Honda specified 10-40 and 10-30 on them. Almost all V-tecs running in Greece use 15-50 due to dealership recomondation which was made up after asking the Japaneese to take into account the severe conditions of a car operating here. (Heat, traffic, speeding, extended use of high rpm+low gears, dust, moisture) The v-tec mechanism has no problem with it whatsoever and it shouldt because it only uses pressure to lock and unlock.
Old 11-14-2000, 01:51 PM

The oil does not lose it's ability to lubricate, it's that the filter loses it's ability to filter out the particles. Fleets often use oil testing to get a statistical probability as when to change the oil. But, during that time, they often change the filter at regular intervals, and not the oil. With regulat filter changes, they continue to protect the fleet, while saving a ton of money by not following the 3000/3 rule.

And to reiterate the facts, my friend has an M3, and the "service light" for oil changes comes on at 7500 miles.

Track day, haven't asked her about that one, but one would assume that it is covered under the "extreme conditions" clause, and you should increase the frequency of oil changes.
Old 11-14-2000, 01:59 PM
STL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And to reiterate the facts, my friend has an M3, and the "service light" for oil changes comes on at 7500 miles.
I believe our S2000 Owner's Manual states to change the oil every 7500 miles (or 6 months) under normal driving.

Quick Reply: The myth of synthitic oil...