S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

The myth of synthitic oil...

Old 11-14-2000, 12:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 11-14-2000, 12:31 PM

Damn, I spelled S-Y-N-T-H-E-T-I-C wrong in the topic title field. Forgive my lapse...
Old 11-14-2000, 12:34 PM

Originally posted by Ldogdotcom:
Damn, I spelled S-Y-N-T-H-E-T-I-C wrong in the topic title field. Forgive my lapse...
No problim...
Old 11-14-2000, 12:35 PM

Unfortunately I cannot remember the source, but I recall reading/hearing that in cars with VTEC, the heavier weight oils interfere with the pin that locks the lobes to the "high lift" cam. Obviously it does not stop it completely, but it may be an issue.
Old 11-14-2000, 12:36 PM

Whene I asked about synthetic oil in the S2k over here I was told Honda don't recommend them in any of their car's !
Old 11-14-2000, 12:49 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Manual says its OK if it meets the requirements stated. I just use 5-30 synthetic.
Old 11-14-2000, 01:08 PM

Originally posted by Ldogdotcom:
Okay, I am a car guy, and I fully understand motor oil, perhaps even more in depth than the majority of people do. So this is my question, hopefully people can lend a little insight.

It says to run 10W-30 in the S2000, right? So, common sense would tell us that 5W-30 would give us better cold weather-startup protection, due to its flow characteristics at low temps, while retaining the same protection at the upper level of the temperature/operating range.

Here's the loop, why not use 15W-50, especially if it's in a warmer climate, like here in Florida? If you look at the temperature range, you still have good flow with a 15W-50 motor oil, even at zero degrees! And added protection as the car revs higher and the climate is hotter!

Check out the stats on Mobil 1's website.
http://www.mobil.com/mobil1_racing/about/p...w_50/index.html

So, I think that the S2000 would classify as a vehicle that would benefit from this oil. After all, there is no real difference between 10W-30 oils (as much as people would like to argue that there is) synthetic or petroleum. But the added protection from a higher viscosity might warrant a higher API rating, unless you live in sub-zero climates.

Don't get me wrong, I believe the hype, and I use only Mobil 1 in my car. However, my sister worked at Exxon- engineering and selling engine lubricants, and gave me the "in" on motor oils. She's convinced that for "every day people's applications" synthetic is a moot point, yet people (including me) continue to buy it. And, don't even get her started on the "changing your oil and filter every 3000 miles" hype.

So, besides the tangent, I was wondering what people were wondering about the 15W-50 question. After all, oil change time is coming up...

I do use 15W-50 since my first oil change. I believe that it does offer additional protection at extreme operating conditions. Anyway my dealer even specified that viscocity and I know lots of other V-tec owners that used the same with excelent results and many trouble free miles. Most race cars use a weight of 50 and on endurance races even 60.
Old 11-14-2000, 01:12 PM

We had a huge discussion about this on my VW forums... Basically, the heavier weight oils are just formulated for marketing reasons to people that believe they protect better. A Mobil Engineer admitted that their best product was the 5W-30 oil, and that the others are merely for marketing reasons. I say keep it simple and use 5-30.
Old 11-14-2000, 01:27 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

so should I be using 10W-30 or 5W-30?

I live in Cali, Central Coast... Never gets too hot or too cold here.

[This message has been edited by krazik-s2k (edited November 14, 2000).]
Old 11-14-2000, 01:30 PM

Originally posted by gdowsett-uk:
Whene I asked about synthetic oil in the S2k over here I was told Honda don't recommend them in any of their car's !
but how do they explain that my engine is running smoother (even my wife noticed!) after the changeover to Mobile 1 10W-30?

Quick Reply: The myth of synthitic oil...