S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

MY05 or MY06

Old 07-12-2008, 02:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MY05 or MY06

I've read the FAQ about the differences between the 05 and 06 and I'm aware that the 06 has a switch to control VSA and the 05 does not have this switch. My question is...Does the MY05 have VSA but no switch to control it or does it not have VSA at all?

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-12-2008, 02:57 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

VSA is NOT on 2005 and earlier. It started in 2006 and later.

Brian
Old 07-12-2008, 08:30 PM

Because of the VSA, there are also some mechanical dfferences between 2005 and 2006 model's throttle design.

2000-2005 models use mechanical linkage to link the gas pedal to the throttle body's opening.

2006+ has the gas peal linked to a computer, and the computer modulates the throttle body's opening ... aka Drive by Wire
Old 07-13-2008, 02:18 AM

So is VSA worth it? I'm not too sure I'm crazy about the DBW idea. What kind of lag is experienced from the drive by wire? I'm sure it's not noticeable to anyone who hasn't driven both models extensively. I'm just trying to decide which MY to get.
Old 07-13-2008, 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by detonator2x,Jul 13 2008, 05:18 AM
So is VSA worth it? I'm not too sure I'm crazy about the DBW idea. What kind of lag is experienced from the drive by wire? I'm sure it's not noticeable to anyone who hasn't driven both models extensively. I'm just trying to decide which MY to get.
DBW ... some say it is not noticeable, and some say it is. You may want to try it out yourself and see if it's noticeable to you.

I personally would prefer to have the VSA, even though I believe that no traction control / vehicle stability system would be able to compensate entirely for the stupidity of a driver. I've tried down some "stupid things" in empty parking lots on other cars (mostly European cars like BMWs and Mercedes), and have found that these systems don't doo too much if you really overshoot. However, these systems (e.g. VSA) just help to lower the chances, it may be small ... but still worth it I think.

As for the choice of different model years, the debate has always been heated here. AP1 vs AP2 vs CR, 2004/2005 vs 2006/2007 vs 2008+. The argument would never end ...

But then, on the same argument, I tend to be a bit more careful with my car because I know it has no stability systems to "save" me ...
Old 07-13-2008, 04:48 AM
Member (Premium)

I've had both, a 2005 and now a 2006. I originally thought that I would not like the DBW, but now after I've had it I wouldn't go back unless I was going to race with it. It is very seamless and smooth under most situations. It is a nice little "Angel" that is there to help just in case you are not.

I have a 2007 Civic Si and it has the DBW and is not nearly as good as the S2K's DBW.

Brian
Old 07-13-2008, 10:26 AM

Do you think the VSA helps you drive more "civilized" or anything? Like, less aggressively ultimately getting better mileage?
Old 07-13-2008, 11:25 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For DBW, I didn't notice a difference during test drives. I never owned a pre-MY06, but obviously DBW doesn't do anything ridiculous, as many people can't even tell there's a difference at all. Also, there's never the loose throttle cable issue in DBW cars, and the available Hondata reflash is a pretty nice bonus. I'd consider it a neutral thing--it shouldn't be a big enough deal to make or break a decent deal.

For VSA, turn it off if you're worried. Hold the button for 1/2 second and it's fully defeated.

On activation as a safety feature, VSA is pretty idiot-proof. A few times I've tested the limits, purposely pulling dumb maneuvers to see if it would fix it or not, and VSA has always done exactly what it's supposed to. The car scrubs speed as needed, and it goes wherever I'm pointing it. Maybe I could figure out some situation where it wouldn't act right, but I'm not sure it would be a real-world driving situation.

You could argue VSA is lame because you feel it scrubs too much speed when it activates or because it limits tire slip on rapid 1-2 upshifts, but if you're going to do that kind of driving, just turn the stupid thing off. And leave it on when you're driving in the rain, snow, to work, or with your wife. VSA is like an airbag or ABS--a great device to help keep you safe if or when things go unexpectedly wrong.

I drive my car throught the winter, so I prefer having the VSA system to no VSA by leaps and bounds. It's invaluable for a snowy-winter-driven car, but it's a small safety perk otherwise.
Old 07-13-2008, 03:25 PM
Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by detonator2x,Jul 13 2008, 10:26 AM
Do you think the VSA helps you drive more "civilized" or anything? Like, less aggressively ultimately getting better mileage?
Drive more civilized?...better gas mileage...no. VSA is nothing more than stability correction.

Basically the computer (in conjunction with the ABS and DBW systems) monitors all 4 of the wheel's speeds and within the programmed software that it operates off of ultimately tries to keep the car from spinning out should the driver do something dumb. It does this by pulling back the throttle and applying the ABS to the appropriate wheel(s) to make the correction.

Brian
Old 07-13-2008, 04:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The DBW system is very nice IMO. I had an AP1 before my '08. I think I can sense the difference in throttle response. There is a VERY slight reduction in the edginess of the throttle, not what I'd call a delay but more like response-smoothing. This is more benefit than drawback to me. Much less tendency to lurch or judder in 1st gear at low RPM and partial throttle.

Quick Reply: MY05 or MY06