S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

My window leaks in heavy rain..help!

Old 07-26-2007, 06:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My window leaks in heavy rain..help!

I have a MY00 and the previous owner installed aftermarket softtop with glass window and it leaks little bit in hard rain.

It's not a leak from the actually soft top but where it meets the window on both sides..(the side windows not the back)
I think the rubber parts don't cover perfectly...
it's not a very hard leak but it drips...so I was wondering if there was anything I can do or use to fix this..
Thanks
Old 07-26-2007, 07:06 AM

I have the same problem with MY06 since day one BRAND NEW lol. My leak is very very small and from the driver side. It happens when going through a drive through car wash or in SEVERE rain. The leak occurs where the two major rubber peices fold as the top is dropped on the upper portion of the window. I just live with it since it doesnt happen often. I imagine it's common for a soft top to have these minor issues. I don't know how bad your leak is but I figured I'd provide some insight on my issue.
Old 07-26-2007, 07:10 AM

Received 241 Likes on 180 Posts

Perhaps the window needs adjustment?
Old 07-26-2007, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by armeN,Jul 26 2007, 07:06 AM
I have the same problem with MY06 since day one BRAND NEW lol. My leak is very very small and from the driver side. It happens when going through a drive through car wash or in SEVERE rain. The leak occurs where the two major rubber peices fold as the top is dropped on the upper portion of the window. I just live with it since it doesnt happen often. I imagine it's common for a soft top to have these minor issues. I don't know how bad your leak is but I figured I'd provide some insight on my issue.
drive through car wash? yeesh

i had a small version of the same thing when i replaced my top. the two rubber weather strip pieces that meet in the center of the top of the window weren't quite close enough together, so if i spray a hard stream directly at it some drops get through. doesn't leak in rain though. if yours bothers you, you can likely try moving one of the rubber pieces or the other to make them come together a little tighter.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:14 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the front latches are shimmed, removing the shim might allow the top to drop a couple of millimeters which would help or cure your problem.
I'm not familiar with the mechinism of the latches and shims may or may not exist.
It could be just the oppisite though. Adding a shim could pull the top tighter to the windshield header and prevent the leak.
If the leak is small though, it might not be worth the effort trying to figure it out and easier to just live with it.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by armeN,Jul 26 2007, 10:06 AM
Read your owner's manual. It specifies that the car should never be taken to an automated wash.
I have never had leaking problems with either of my S2000's with the windows fully closed.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:17 AM

how are your strikers? mine's getting old and it's kinda obvious that the top needs to be tighter than it is right now.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:19 AM

he is killing his s

dont do it
Old 07-26-2007, 09:18 AM

replacing the strikers may help some, but that makes the most difference across the front of the top, and will make significantly less difference on the sides
Old 07-26-2007, 10:12 AM

My MY07 does it also. I was a bad boy and took it through a touchless wash and learned my lesson. I now handwash the car ALL the time, although even with the hose it does still let a few small drops in, havent noticed it in any rain yet though and I live in FL where it rains everyday.

Quick Reply: My window leaks in heavy rain..help!