S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

My Warranty?

Old 01-29-2007, 01:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Warranty?

Not sure if this is the right thread for this, but ill give it a shot.

Ok I have a 01 with a 75000 mile extended warranty on it. When I bought the car I knew the motor wouldnt be under warranty since it had already been rebuilt with a 03model head, so the vin plates wouldnt match, is this correct? Also, he told me I would probably hafto haggle with the dealership if somthing else was to go wrong i.e the tranny or diff but why would I? I mean I do have the extended warranty so they will still cover everything else but the motor right? All that is done to the car currently is comptch coilovers.

Thanks!
-David
Old 01-29-2007, 05:15 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Your warranty is a contract, I suggest you read the fine print. I'm assuming it is a HondaCare extended warranty you are talking about, do you know if it is even transferable? Who is "he" in the above post? I'm assuming a private seller?
They (HondaCare) are notoriously finicky about covering anything which might have failed due to alleged 'abuse'. i.e. Rear Diff, Tranny, etc. These warranties generally (always I think) come with a time limit as well as a mileage limit, you may already be out of coverage on an 01.
Good Luck,
Mike
Old 01-31-2007, 12:28 AM

no its not out of time, im not sure its tranerably, but the previous owner said it was for 50 bucks....it lasts until 10/08 or 75000 miles, my car has 41k on it......how would they know if I was ragging it if they cant find any proof? They cant just assume just becasue I am a teenager could they?
Old 01-31-2007, 01:49 AM

7 years 75k miles that sounds like the warranty on your cat.
also that sounds like a weird time frame for a warranty, usually they are 5 yrs 100k at least thats what i had through honda.
i would find out where he had the warranty through and go from there. and yes you are gonna have issues with this considering that the motor was rebuilt they are going to wonder why, unless you have the paper work on the issue. what problems are you having with the car in the first place (if any or is this a when it/if it happens question)? if it is tranny issues depending on the problems they may just say that its dude to age/wear & tear and wont do a thing about it. and with the question you are asking about proof, if there is excessive/unusual wear on the parts, or issues that only happen due to abuse the mechanics arent dumb they will know. but otherwise no they cant say "your a teenager your abusing your car"

honda is a pain to deal with anyway with warranty issues belive me i dealt with them for 5 years

first off i would make sure that the previous owner signed over the warranty into your name or you are sol. most of the time if the car is sold the warrenty can be transfered with no problem but sometimes there are issues.

good luck
Old 01-31-2007, 04:12 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Also, "warranty" is a complete misnomer when talking about Hondacare. Legally it is MUCH more like an insurance policy.

The terms of the insurance policy are practically designed to make sure they never have to pay a claim.

The "insurance policy" states that ANY modification to the car (running non-OEM spark plugs, non-OEM air filter, non-OEM tires, etc) will void the policy. Magnusson-Moss does NOT, NOT, NOT!!! cover this type of contract.
Old 02-02-2007, 08:21 PM

no, nothing is wrong with the car now, its more of a If/when kinda thing...just wanted to know of the extended warranty is just like a factory warranty