S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

My softcover latches rattle... how to address???

Old 06-19-2004, 05:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My softcover latches rattle... how to address???

My softcover latches rattle, and the one above my (driver's) side is loose enough that I hear wind noise between the roof and the windshield header at highway speeds. (Water does not get in... yet.) The dealer wants $210 for what they call a "Hardtop Stryker." Is there any other way to deal with this?

The rattle is not loud and I don't hear it unless I hit a bump, but it annoyes me.

The lower part of the latch on the driver's side seems very slightly worn... I'm not sure if a new one would be enough to lower the top on that side enough to close the gap that's causing the wind noise. Maybe, maybe not. Is there some adjustment that can be made... so I don't need a completely new part?

Car is out of warranty.
Old 06-19-2004, 05:45 PM

might try a search on the topic, cuz I recall seeing a thread where xviper posted the procedure to adjust the top. That might fix the wind noise (or it should), but might not help with the rattle.

If I can find it I'll link you, otherwise you might pm xviper and see if he can direct you to the thread.
Old 06-19-2004, 06:31 PM

I had a slight rattle on my passenger side, and I solved it with some adhesive felt. I simply cut a small strip and placed it where the "hook" from the top goes. I don't know if this will help, but it certainly is cheap.
Old 06-19-2004, 07:02 PM

should find something here:

http://forums.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.p...=&threadid=5126
Old 06-20-2004, 10:14 AM

If your car is a 2000 or 2001, there is a technical service buletin covering the latches........see it here
https://www.s2ki.com/user/content/view/full/293/
Post your VIN on your profile to be viewed as an owner.
Old 06-20-2004, 01:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine did the same thing. What was loose on mine was the latch part attached to the windshild frame NOT the latchs on the top. I simply removed the plastic pieces on the windshield frame to expose the latch screws and tightened the the screws that attach them the too windshield frame.
Problem solved in ten minutes.
Old 06-21-2004, 06:42 AM

Learn to use the "search" capability of this board. Just enter the words "latch rattle" and you will find hundreds of previous threads discussing this topic. Many of the threads also contain the simple fixes to it. Good luck with your search.
Old 06-21-2004, 06:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting, I noticed mine rattling yesterday no wind noise and the top is tight. I haven't inspected yet but it seemed like 2 pieces of plastic where rattling together on the latch itself on the softtop. I could feel screws so I'm going to check that and see if I can tighten them. I have a hardtop so I assume the TSB doesn't apply.
Old 06-21-2004, 07:57 AM

This is definitely something I'll have to check out...I just thought I'd hear some wind noise when traveling at higher speeds just because it's the S2000. Thanks for the links
Old 06-21-2004, 09:56 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by WhiteS2k
Learn to use the "search" capability of this board.

Quick Reply: My softcover latches rattle... how to address???