S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

My S2000 in the woods!

Old 12-24-2000, 06:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I had a plan. We would drive separate cars to church and I would rush back to get the xmas presents out to surprise the kids (we open them xmas eve at our house, then go to grandma and grandpa's on xmas day). I didn't mind the 2 car part since I got the s2000. So, I rush home, put out all of the presents and then leave, so I can arrive after my wife and kids. All goes fine, except that we have a very long and steep driveway with switchbacks. It's currently about half covered with ice, but I can make it up with the stock tires (my snows are supposed to arrive this week) as long as I skip from dry spot to dry spot.

In my haste, I went a little too fast down one section, and when I hit the brakes, the anti-lock brakes started pulsing and I wasn't slowing down at all! I skided down the driveway (about 40 feet) and across a flat snow covered grassy area (about 25 feet) on the outside of the switchback. I was hoping to stop on the grassy area, but it didn't slow me down at all. I had visions of a smashed front end as I entered the woods between two trees spaced about 8 feet apart (I could still steer.) I started heading down another hill through the woods toward the neighbor's house, but I got enough traction in the woods to stop (about 30 feet into the woods). I ran over a lot of small saplings, but managed not to hit anything hard.

After opening presents with the family (the kids never noticed that I walked back to the house), I spent about an hour towing the car out with my pickup truck (I got to use the handy tow eye in the trunk).

I went for a test drive and everything seems just fine, which is good because I just hit 600 miles and have been enjoying the VTEC.

I can't wait for the snow tires to get here!
Old 12-24-2000, 06:41 PM

phew, thats what a call a close one!

glad that the car is okay and that nobody was hurt
Old 12-24-2000, 06:43 PM

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

Who needs excersize when you can get your heart pumping way more just by driving in the snow. Glad all is well in the end!

- Scot
Old 12-24-2000, 08:04 PM
Former Moderator

Can't you just see Brad's face as he's careening through the trees?
I'm glad you made it out fine. Lets hope those Snow tires come soon!

Mike
Old 12-24-2000, 08:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe instead of Blizzaks or Alpins you need surplus tank treads. Or maybe you need a cog railway to get up that hill AND DOWN safely.

Where do you live?

Thanks for the story. I drove my '93 Prelude with Yokohama Guardex 600 all around to the xc ski area today. I missed driving the S2K, but your story reaffirmed my decision. (It was hardly a decision as the S2K is clean and dry and snow free and the Prelude is covered with brown road grime, the kind that looks like it took a million miles of dirt road to build up, but actually accumulates in ten minutes of driving on melting snow.)

I'm glad everything ended fine. I've got 535 miles on the odometer and holding, no miles in 15 days.

Old 12-24-2000, 08:55 PM

You got a great Christmas gift, some great luck.
Old 12-25-2000, 12:29 AM
Muz
Former Sponsor

My heart was pumping just reading that.
Old 12-25-2000, 02:44 AM

Muz, ice is the solid form of water. It occurs when water temperature falls to zero C and the water is then cooled.

You won't believe this, but it makes roads as slippery as pouring oil on them

When he said "ice" I know you must have thought he was referring to something you get from the refrigerator or the bar or the supermarket.

If you like, I'll mail you some. We have enough here. And snow too. That's like ice but different.

Old 12-25-2000, 03:32 AM

Merry Christmas, BradQ!
Amazing story.
You should write books for a living, Tom Clancy doesn't have anything on you. Glad that worked out all right. Save that story for your kids when they get older and you have to calm them down after their first auto mishap. ("..."see, even I can make a mistake going too fast...")

Here's hoping that your children are as lucky as their daddy.

Happy Holidays!
Old 12-25-2000, 11:28 AM
Muz
Former Sponsor

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Barry WY Silver/Black '01:
[B]Muz, ice is the solid form of water.

Quick Reply: My S2000 in the woods!