S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

My roadster comparisons

Old 07-04-2001, 02:56 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mdavis
[B]CoralDoc:

So how do you like your S2k?
Old 07-04-2001, 03:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's also a recent article in Roundel (BMW CCA mag) that compares the M Roadster with the Boxster S and the S2000.
Old 07-04-2001, 05:56 AM
Sev

Originally posted by s2ktaxi
There's also a recent article in Roundel (BMW CCA mag) that compares the M Roadster with the Boxster S and the S2000.
where can we see that???
Old 07-04-2001, 06:09 AM

If someone has the capability to OCR or the willingness to transcribe, I can send you the mag. THe bmwcca web site does not have that particular article online. It was the June issue.
Old 07-04-2001, 11:21 AM

CoralDoc-

Excellent, sounds like you made the correct decision. Were you faster than the new Boxsters or the original version of the Boxsters? Certainly, you are not talking about the Boxster-S?

s2ktaxi-

I subscribe to the Roundel. I read the article. It's not on the web yet.

-Mark
Old 07-04-2001, 11:34 AM

Not all the Roundel articles go on the web.
Old 07-04-2001, 11:42 AM

FYI, the engine in the Allroad and the S4 is the same (2.7L TT) so the S4 should get an extra 5 points for being in the Ward's Top 10.

One thing I didn't see on the spreadsheet is 'Modifiability' - are you really planning on keeping the car you buy stock? I know this is one of the things I keep in mind when purchasing a vehicle.

Also, is this going to be a 2nd/3rd/etc car or your primary driver? If this is just an additon, get the S2K by all means. If it's your primary driver, then consider sound insulation, exhaust drone, etc as they will become imporant very quickly.
Old 07-04-2001, 12:08 PM

S4 Mike-

Thanks, I made the changes re: audi engine.

Modifiability? Not for me...I will certainly buy some of Rick's upgrades, but do not plan to change much.

I have a practicality category, which covers the inherent inpracticality of the roadster. This will be my daily driver, but I only drive maybe 15 miles a day on avg. Also, we have a Mercedes ML320 SUV, which is much more practical <- this may become an X5 in the coming years, but I digress.

s2ktaxi-

We can only hope it will make it to the web...The article compares the S2000 to the Boxster-S and the BMW M roadster.

To tide people over, here are some notable quotes.

in the s2000 part of the review:

"The S2000 was developed and built by the racing engineers at Honda -- the same guys who work on CART and F1 cars -- and its more like a race car than a Bimmer or a P-car.

"Mechanically, the S2000 has the best steering, the best clutch, and the best gearbox of this trio."

"This is a hard core sports car made for the serious driver."

"Handling is best described as being like a large go-kart, due to the inherent stiffness of the car."

"The problem is that by the time you reach this magic spot (they are talking about VTEC), you are exceeding the speed limit and well on your way to triple digits. It's great if you can find room to do it. but in most daily driving you miss out on the best the engine has to offer"

the verdict part of the review:

"If I were picking a car to take to the track for a day, I would choose the S2000. It is a special car and is the purest sports car in the group. It is also a great value compared to the other two, but the high-revving engine would be frustrating to live with on a daily basis."

runner up: Boxster-S "Best Handling"

Winner: M-roadster...no surprise, bu he talks about the need for a redesign -- with the same level of rigidity as the S2000.

-Mark
Old 07-04-2001, 02:25 PM

If you're looking for other cars to consider, try taking a Miata for a test drive - one with the sport suspension. Most folks have no idea how outrageously fun this car is till they take a drive. They tend to look at the "image" or the stats and then draw their conclusions - big mistake!
Old 07-04-2001, 02:39 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mdavis
[B]To tide people over, here are some notable quotes.

in the s2000 part of the review:

"The S2000 was developed and built by the racing engineers at Honda -- the same guys who work on CART and F1 cars -- and its more like a race car than a Bimmer or a P-car.

Quick Reply: My roadster comparisons