S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

My roadster comparisons

Old 07-03-2001, 03:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

twohoos/John-

You may not be surprised to know that I am also an engineer, and quite thoroughly anal-retentive, as you might suspect!

Decisions like this MUST be quantified.

Yes, I know, I should buy the damn car. I wish I knew of the expected '02 changes...

Regards,
-Mark
Old 07-03-2001, 04:21 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mdavis
[B]twohoos/John-

You may not be surprised to know that I am also an engineer, and quite thoroughly anal-retentive, as you might suspect!

Decisions like this MUST be quantified.

Yes, I know, I should buy the damn car.
Old 07-03-2001, 11:36 PM

yu888-

Sure...I understand the value there, but what if we replace the (incredibly cheap) head unit with a non-Alpine unit. Can we still use the 2nd set of controls?

Regards, Mark
Old 07-03-2001, 11:49 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mdavis
[B]yu888-

Sure...I understand the value there, but what if we replace the (incredibly cheap) head unit with a non-Alpine unit.
Old 07-04-2001, 12:21 AM

4 years ago my brother-in-law was looking for a computer. After months of research, price comparisons, speed comparisons, periferal compatibility etc... (not to mention calling me every 5 minutes with questions) he decided to wait for the next gen processor "to be announced" a few months later....

He still hasn't bought one.

I bought my s2k without any other test drives (not recommended) but, It was just like when I kissed my girlfriend "now wife of 7 years" for the first time, instant love.

If I made an Excel chart to decide if I should marry her, she'd make my life a living hell!
Come to think of it... Maybe I did create a chart on her

Good Luck Man,
Old 07-04-2001, 12:32 AM

Holly cow Mark, that is an impressive analysis. Double check, but I think both C&D and R&T had the s2000 stopping sooner from speed than the TT- just a minor point in your SS.
My driving reaction was the same as yours- so you may be overanalyzing it - the seat of your pants said the same thing the car press did-the s2000 puts an adrenalin rush in your vasculature and a smile on your face.
To adress a couple of points here: [QUOTE]Originally posted by mdavis
[B]

Cons: Cheap interior (carpet -- especially console, dash controls, etc), plastic rear window, scary issues w/1-2 grind (still not fixed?), redundent radio controls, cheap radio, very cramped, cheap lockbox that can easily be broken into, cheap factory alarm, very poorly designed hooks on soft top -- tension makes then difficult to get off from my experience, cheap windshield (easily gets chips) -- wish Honda would release a version that isn't so cheap in the quality --
Old 07-04-2001, 12:36 AM

yu888-

Thanks for the info, if I buy one, I'll look into that stuff.

Roadtrip-

Well, microprocessors is something I know quite a bit about. The Pentium 4 core is Intel's next-generation core and is an entirely new design.

Re: S2k -- We'll, I think the right thing to do is to test drive, compare, examine, research, etc...This is a very significant purchase that can impact your life significantly. These types of decisions shouldn't be made on a whim. Enjoy your S2k!

SfDukie-

Thanks for the feedback! You're correct, I had 110 ft for the S2k and 114ft for the TT -- One thing you cannot see here is all the popups I have with additional data. TT goes to 6. I still think the brakes on the E46 M3 and the Boxster-S are better than the S2k...Z3 is close.

I have also made more minor additions to the spreadsheet (added some categories) and will update the post at a later time...

Regards, Mark
Old 07-04-2001, 12:53 AM

First post -probably get it wrong!
Been lurking here for week - trying to make up my mind what to buy as the old fart's plaything.
Think this is the best car-associated site I have run across - congratulations all!
Impressed by mdavis .xls approach to what in my case will be an essentially emotional decision.
Is it possible one of you guys cd host his .xls as a .zip file for download? Wd do it myself but my ISP won't let me.
Old 07-04-2001, 01:02 AM

mikerich-

Welcome!

I can host my own .xls...I am currently hosting the files shown above, in fact. I'll upload the latest version sometime tonight or tomorrow.

It would be nice if this Forum S/W was able to host generic files...Hard drives are cheap.

Regards, Mark
Old 07-04-2001, 01:39 AM

how do I get to yr .xls then?
see u don't have a home page on yr profile
thx

Quick Reply: My roadster comparisons