S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

my quest for rear window STATIC CLING is now ended.

Old 11-01-2001, 03:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default my quest for rear window STATIC CLING is now ended.

yeah... i've been trying to tint the rear plastic window for several weeks. i tried everything, from usual tint- self tinting kit- static cling...

here's my last thread about this little project-
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...?threadid=31953

and now, i think i found out a pretty good material and the method to put it on.

the tinting kit i got is from this place- http://www.autobarn.com/

it is safe to buy the darkest one they have. these plastic static cling kits are not as dark as glass window tinting films with same % of darkness.

carefully trace the shape of rear window tracing paper, and cut it out-

now cutting the film itself is the hardest part. you not only have to be pretty careful with those awkward curves and angles, but also try to make the cut as clean/ sharp as possible.

these plastic tints are sooo hard to cut clean, because they wrinkle/ stretch/ shrink. some people stretch it and tape each side to the flat surface. DO NOT STRETCH the plastic. after you make cut this way, you gonna find the plastic way smaller than the size of rear window- because you stretched it when you were cutting it.

spray "mist" of water on the window, and stick it on. from the middle of the window, gently squeeze out the water/ air bubbles, as you adjust the position of the film.

it is very hard to get rid of every water/ air bubble. don't worry. i found out that small ones just go away after 3- 5 days. just try to position the film perfectly with out any wrinkle.

these films not only give you more privacy, but also somewhat protect the cabin from heat. also prevents scratch and fade of rear window.

if you do it right, the film's gonna stay on as long as you want. it's been on my car almost for 3 weeks now, without any problem. i've gone up up to 140 m/ h and no problem at all.
Old 11-01-2001, 03:56 PM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey if you drive to Passaic Park near Clifton, you could swipe my old rear window tint on the '00 S2000. . .

Tell the folks at the dealer I said it was alright!

Hmmmmm. . .I wonder how my old S2000 is doing?
Old 11-01-2001, 05:51 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

For anyone who just wants to buy the "cling" tint already cut to size contact Speed2000. He sells StonGard and window tint. I've seen it on his car, looks really good on black.

Also, if you still want to cut it yourself I'd recommend a rotary cutting wheel. These are usually used to cut fabric but they are great for lots of things including window tint.