S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

My Poor S2K

Old 06-05-2001, 09:22 AM

Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts

My advice to you and others resonates what was said earlier. Thankfully, you didn't hit another car or damage any other property.....depending on the carrier you have, you want to make sure that you tell them exactly and honestly what happened....some of the other smaller companies business logic would write this incident as an accident, and would in turn affect your future ratings.

The larger companies, moreso than not, are moving towards a new set of rules on how to issue policies. The trend is to issue policies on a method that reviews your credit rating. Obviously this is reviewed and cross-referenced by your driving record and the record of those covered under your policy. However, to many people's surprise, the credit rating review is weighed heavier than the driving record.

The company (which is the largest issuer of policies in the world and based out of Illinois) I work for has begun to implement this rating for home owners policies, and now commercial driving policies. It's only a matter of time that other insurance companies will follow suit if they haven't already.

The reason why this is used as a metric is for the fact that insurance companies need to be more profitable. This can be accomplished by creating new revenue streams; however there has been a lull in coming up with new and innovative ideas due to most avenues being already exhausted. The new mentality is that to be profitable, insurers need to issue policies to customers who won't "jump ship" everytime they get a new quoted rate from rival companies. The best way to find customers like that, is to analyze their credit report....so far this is the best way the companies know how. In the future, insurance companies will ask and/or require their customers to sign contracts, not unlike the contracts we used to sign for cellular phone service. Right now, they have to jump some hurdles in legalities to set up this type of contract based issuance...

Back to advice, next time you confront a small animal and are at moderate speeds....you're better off hitting it, rather than swerving and causing more damage to property, your car, or more importantly to yourself or others. If you are driving moderately and encounter a larger animal (anything the size of a fawn or larger), swerve!!! The damage and injury caused by animals of this size is incredible....I've even seen reports where the animal killed the driver, after the driver got out of the car to inspect the damage.

Sorry for such a long reply, but hope I helped.
Old 06-05-2001, 09:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont know anything about U.S. car insurance but good luck, hope you get it sorted as fast as possible.
Old 06-05-2001, 10:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dude, I know this is the S2000 owners forum but Screw the car. Your lucky as hell you didn't get hurt. You can ALWAYS get a new bumper, you can't always get your skull put back together. As with the insurance company, Go to your local body and fender and get a estimate on the price. Then compare that price to how much insurance is going to dish out and how much their going to take out of your monthly. lol, you can also not get it fixed, wait for someone to hit you and claim they did all the damage. But how someone could hit the front of your car without it being your fault is something your going have to find out. I don't really incourage the last idea.
Old 06-05-2001, 06:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guys/gals are seriously the greatest. I've never been so proud to be part of this elite group. Thanks to all of you for all the great advice and for just being so suportive.