S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

My new clutch

Old 02-23-2004, 02:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My new clutch

Billy Craft Honda in Lynchburg, VA installed my Hyper One Exedy clutch kit and they were done installing, so I went to go pick it up. I picked up my car and turned on my right signal light to get out of the dealership.. and it didnt work. Went back in, told them it didnt work and they fixed it.. get back in the car and put my sprayers on bc the window was dirty.. The water squirted away from the window Went back in... told them, they fixed it.. Now I finally left the dealership, getting use to the new clutch and what not. Got to the second light. And my car shut off
To make a long story short, towed my car back to the dealership, getting my car fixed again. Mind you that my car has been in the shop for 1 week exactly getting tsb00-054 done and clutch installed.

ok.. Now my impression of the clutch was that it sucked. It was nothing like I expected it to be. I was expecting fast engagement right from the bottom. But it wasnt like that, it engaged at the same point where stock clutch engages. Also, when going into first gear, it made this grinding noise. Basically, I want to get that clutch out and just go with oem setup now. I really dont care for after market parts at all right now. I totally understand that the clutch has harsh engagment, and are intended for F/I cars. I planned to go F/I in the near future, but I have no plans now.
Oh yes, It was very sad watching my front oem bumper scrape up while getting lifted up into the tow truck.
This Honda dealership and there services
Old 02-23-2004, 02:39 PM

Sorry to hear of your problems. I've decided to go OEM all the way for any repairs and not use aftermarket. Since this is my daily driver, I want to make sure it runs like Honda designed it to run. That means all OEM. Honda spent a lot of money to tune this particular car to run the way it does. There is no improving it. If you try to change something, then that creates a problem elsewhere. For every action there is a reaction. Also, there can be no bitch from the dealer about aftermarket, voiding your warrantee. Stay OEM.
Old 02-23-2004, 04:03 PM

Yea I know exactly what you mean, I think I will try to stay stock. It seems like once you take something apart, it will never be the same.
Old 02-23-2004, 04:24 PM
J.T

[QUOTE]Originally posted by HI SPEEDR
Old 02-23-2004, 05:32 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it all depends on the tech...some techs do engine swaps on their spare time and build cars...those I trust...its the part swappers I don't trust...the tech's who just do routine work everyday and rarely tear into a motor or know much about performance working on a performance car.... just my .02
Old 02-23-2004, 05:41 PM

Also i think the engagement point is adjustable.
Old 02-23-2004, 05:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have done a ton, literal ton of research over the last week on replacing this clutch.

I have finally come down to a solution of...

OEM Clutch

OEM Fly Wheel

Mugen Pressure Plate

After talking to all the local dealerships in Nashville I came to the conclusion that I cannot trust any of them to do the install.

Soooo, I will be driving up to Ganely Honda (HardTopGuy) and having it installed on March 10th.

8 hour drive + Competent Mechanics = Happy Me
Old 02-23-2004, 06:00 PM
Former Moderator

there are compitent people in Nashville who can put a clutch in....its not rocket science.
Old 02-23-2004, 06:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It turns out I will be in the area at that time anyway so everything just fell into place very well. I am still eager to meet your mechanic buddy so I have someone trust worthy in the area
Old 02-23-2004, 06:41 PM
Former Moderator

^ no matter where you live its always nice to have at least one really really knowledgable person to go to when things get barfunkled up.

Quick Reply: My new clutch