S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

my Muz x-brace install and handling changes

Old 04-28-2005, 06:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my Muz x-brace install and handling changes

I installed my Muz x-brace recently, and fortunately my mechanic was cool enough to let me use his lift and tools... what am I saying?? the guy pretty much did the whole install himself, all I did was hold the x-brace up. (he didn't even charge me-- one of the perks of being a loyal customer)

so anyway, anybody else who installed an x-brace (not necessarily the Muz one) find you had to kind of tweak it a bit to get it to fit? I'm sure that after 19K miles on twisty, bumpy roads, and even once accidentally driving the R-rear tire up and off of a curb in SF that my frame was ever so slightly tweaked and the x-brace itself was straight.

it took a bit of tweaking to get it to fit, namely loosening a few of the bolts on the triangular bracket at the L-front part of the brace (and tightening them later), and then the L-rear and R-front bolt went in fine but the R-rear part was ever-so-slightly out of line, so we had to get a VERY large flathead screwdriver (more like a straight pry bar, really) and brace it against a nearby bolt on the frame and ever so slightly bend the x-brace toward the hole-- probably >2mm-- just enough to have it straight in to hand tighten it. remember: you DO NOT want to force these bolts in because if you strip the threads in the frame, you are f*cked. it is for this reason that I highly recommend anyone installing an x-brace to do it on a lift. I couldn't imagine having to do this on my back on the ground, and it certainly wouldn't have been a 1-man job. but anyway, after that we tightened them up with a torque wrench. due to the lateral tension of the x-brace with all the bolts in, some of the bolts we had hand-tightened already were tight, so I can't say that they had 28lb-ft of tension inwards, but I'm not too worried about them backing out and coming loose.

now, for driving impressions, I took the car out on a very twisty road that I've driven many times before at speed, and I'd say the car does feel a bit more settled, particularly on sharp turns where the asphalt is a bit bumpy/wrinkly. the cool thing was that on the way to this road in front of me was a 'Vette (probably '01 or '02) who got it in his head that he was going to lose me, and I was able to stick to pretty much the same distance from him the whole time (a safe distance, of course-- 2 car lengths with us going approx 45-60mph)-- his V8 worked for him on the short straights, but where he'd be scrubbing speed just before a curve I was simply holding the throttle steady and f*ckin tossing my S around the S-curves (pun intended ) with ever increasing confidence. (in reality, it was probably 8/10ths-- only a bit of rear end sliding). but my S2k just felt flat and planted. dry road with S-02s helped too. the 'Vette eventually pulled over and let me pass. so yeah, I'd say I could feel a real difference with the x-brace, even if the difference was mostly in my ego/bravado. (no, seriously, I did feel a difference-- the car was a lot more settled and secure feeling)

anyway, sorry for the long post. had a lot to say.
Old 04-28-2005, 07:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmm.. i jus installed it with jacks on a level surface.. didnt have any probs or notice it being uneven.. hmm.
Old 04-28-2005, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by beanolo,Apr 28 2005, 07:33 PM
hmm.. i jus installed it with jacks on a level surface.. didnt have any probs or notice it being uneven.. hmm.
arent u parting out ur car soon???
sell me the muz x-brace!!!
dibs
Old 04-28-2005, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by problem_child,Apr 28 2005, 07:35 PM
arent u parting out ur car soon???
sell me the muz x-brace!!!
dibs
Old 04-28-2005, 07:42 PM

Old 04-28-2005, 08:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had one bolt that I had to shimmy into place on my install. I think i used a pry bar to get leverage on the bottom frame I needed to flex into place. Another person probably would have made the install easier.

I didn't notice alot of handling difference because I already had a strut bar in place that really had a big effect on uneven pavement. I think having either the top or bottom of the frame tied together gives you the same handling effect.
Old 04-28-2005, 08:54 PM

Alot of what you feel is placebo effect.
Old 04-28-2005, 09:01 PM

Well glad you had fun chasing down the vette.. that is what the S is best at!!!Anyway i would pay the same amount to have my car feel more secure!! Anything that will make you have more fun while your driving, i am all about!
Old 04-29-2005, 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by thetz99,Apr 29 2005, 12:19 AM
.... alot of handling difference because I already had a strut bar in place that really had a big effect on uneven pavement. ...
errr a strut bar has ZERO effect on the s2000

there is no way you'll stiffen up the I beam under the airbox

btw i have an x-brace and a strut tower bar as well -
Old 04-29-2005, 12:31 PM

I've been driving with the Muz X-brace in place for a week. Had a mechanic install it and was present when it was done - like you, a little tweaking was required, but it finally settled with no problems.

Does it make a difference? Honestly, I don't know yet. The car MAY handle a bit better and feel more settled over rough pavement. The rear end feels more planted than before, but that also may arise from the U-K alignment I had done back in December. Anyway, it feels good, so I'm not complaining.

Quick Reply: my Muz x-brace install and handling changes