S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

My inner CV Joint Busted...grrr

Old 09-18-2002, 07:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My inner CV Joint Busted...grrr

Well..I was at Honda yesterday getting an alighnment because i had a shutter from the rear and thought it was some bad toe or something. It indeed showed the camber to be way negative and too much toe so they fixed that and took at for a test drive again. The shuttering was still there. Well they ordered a new CV joint and told me it would be in next week and they would call me..till then i would only have the shutter.. Well i never made it out the dealership. I started the car and drove off..and BAMB..and i do mean BAMB as in a riffle or something. Everyone came out of the Acura Dealer and the honda dealer running over to my car. It was the inner CV boot was twisted all up. THey think the Diff is fine becuase i could back the car up but forward..there was an awful metal sound as if two gears were grinding on each other.. I find out later today if they have to order just the Hub or a new axle...that god for extended warranties.. I'll update as soon as i am updated on the situation. Any one else here have this problem? If so..please share because Honda is very interested here if there has been some sort of history. This dealer is awesome and they are all about getting these little "termites as my mom calls these cars" fixed..thanks alot.

Des,
Old 09-18-2002, 07:33 AM

explain this shuttter. on accelleration or all the time???
i get it from time to time, but wether im gassing it or not it makes no diff.and for some odd reason the shutter goes away from time to time.....

dude you have seriously freaked me out!!!!!!
Old 09-18-2002, 08:02 AM

Yeah..thinking of getting a 99 M3 or a IS300. Or a Acura CL-S 6 speed..drove one and really like it..but i think im done with honda all together...between my self and my mother we have had 4...I have had the prelude..a Passport that the rearend went out of and they lemoned it out...and the S..and my mother has a 3.2TL premium. I loved her car so much when my car was down..that i drove the CL..very nice. But im having as much maintanance problems as someone drivnign a Hyundai.....shit they might be having better luck. Anyway...my mother does want me to get something more practical and i keep being hard headed and want to give the car another chance...I think im done after this time.

Des,
Old 09-18-2002, 08:06 AM

Also..the shutter occurs when i accelerate and also..when i hit a soft bump where the back suspension compresses..the shutter happens during the "rebound" of the compression of the rear. So thats how they know its the CV boot. The inner boot makes the shutter they said...while the outer boot makes the clicking.

Des,
Old 09-18-2002, 10:55 AM

Oh, and just to be anal, they are not CV boots in the back, that would convey the fact that the S2000 has CV joints. They are half-shafts... completely different design than CV joints.
Old 09-18-2002, 11:03 AM

Originally posted by G1S2k
Any one else here have this problem? If so..please share because Honda is very interested here if there has been some sort of history.
The 'dog bone' that slides onto the end of the axle with splines is cracked. The noise you are hearing is the splines rubbing off the axle while the cracked part tries to engage them. If you jack the car up, it should run fine - only under load will the splines slip.

This is a very common occurence on the S2K, and is a direct result of multiple hard launches... They will need to replace the entire axle assembly.

You only need to worry about this if you do LOTS of hard launches. It took us over over 1000 launches on race tires, usually on concrete, to get this failure. Not something most owners need to be concerned about.

-Jason Saini
Old 09-18-2002, 11:18 AM

Man I should go out and check my cv boot now too...