S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

My Favorite Roads (SF Bay Area)

Old 06-11-2004, 09:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Favorite Roads (SF Bay Area)

G'day!

Thought it might be fun for people to come up with a list of their favorite local drives. These could be based on how technical it is (twisty) or just for the scenery. Here's a couple of mine.

Name: Skyline Blvd - Hwy 35.
Type: Scenic 2-lane with some minor technical
Direction: N-S
Length of Drive: Aprox 40 miles
How to get there: Take Hwy 92 West off either 880, 101 or 280 heading towards Half Moon Bay. About 2 miles west of Hwy 280, as Hwy 92 starts to climb, look for a left turn and that's it. If you end up in Half Moon Bay, you missed it. ;-)
Origin/End: Starts as a T-intersection off Hwy 92 (Half Moon Bay Road) aprox 2 miles from Hwy 280 and runs South to Bear Creek Road. If you start from Hwy 92 and run South, you will terminate at Bear Creek Road. From there, turn Left to get to Highway 17 (Santa Cruz)
Points of interest: Alice's Cafe; popular biker stop. Portola Valley Campground, Castle Rock State Park. Several turn-outs where you can see an amazing view of the entire southern Bay Area (San Jose)
Cautions: Lots of traffic on the weekends especialy motorcycles and bicyclist.

Name: Old Patterson Pass Road
Type: Twisty! 2-lanes, reduced to 1-lane in places. Climbs and decends about 900'.
Direction: E-W
Length of drive: Aprox 12 miles
Location: Parallel and South of Hwy 580 thru the Altamont Hills
How to get there: Heading East, take Hwy 580 towards Livermore, and the base of the Altemont Pass. Take the Greenville road exit (immediately after N. Vasco Rd. exit) and turn Right. Follow Greenville Rd about 1.5 miles and look for Old Patterson Pass road and turn left. You're on it! Note: if you pass the Lawrence Livermore Labs and come to Telsa Road [J2], you've missed it, turn around!
Origin/End: Greenville Road/Patterson Pass Road, (1/4 mile from Interstate 5)
Points of Interest: Not much to see unless you're into Windmill power generators, but I suggest you keep an eye out for the occasional cow. Some nice scenery of the hills but I doubt you'll have time to notice! ;-)
Cautions: VERY steep grades, tight blind descending/ascending turns with no guard rails, lots of places where it goes from 2-lanes to 1-lane. Watch for loose dirt and gravel in places.
WARNING: This can be a very dangerous road for anyone not familiar with it. Don't even THINK about this in the rain. Watch your turns as there are many places where you'll be off the road with no guard rail and an 800 foot drop! (no kidding!) I use it as an alternate East-bound route instead of using 580 if the traffic is at a standstill.