S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

My dealer lied to me

Old 03-30-2005, 06:05 AM

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts
Smile My dealer lied to me

Ok, so when I bought my last S in June of last year I bought the extended service plan with it. My finance guy nicely explained how it was a full coverage plan and best of all, if I didn't use it after the 75k miles was up, I would get a refund on it minus a $50 fee. Well, it seemed like a good situation. He also mentioned how it would not be considered used if I took care of anything under the OEM factory warranty.

Well, as most of you know I totaled my car in January (see sig). I went to the dealer and cancelled my extended service and told them why. They mailed off a cancellation form and told me it would take 4-6 weeks to process. Well, I finally got a check yesterday from the dealer via my financing company since it had to be sent to them to make sure my car was paid off.

Well, I originally paid $1600 for the warranty, but the check was only for about $1100. I called up my dealer and spoke with a finance guy there. He mentioned that since I had 20k miles on my car, the warranty refund amount was reduced. I told him that the warranty wasn't even suppose to kick in until after the factory warranty went up. He gave me the number to to warranty place to call so I could ask them. I promptly called them and they explained that my warranty refund was reduced to 75% because of the mileage on my car.

Ok, so according to the guy that sold it to me, I would get a complete refund sans the $50 if I never used the warranty. Well, according to the info now, if I actually made it past the 75k miles without a claim, I would get a $0 refund b/c I would have used 100% of the mileage alotted for the warranty. Does this make sense to anybody b/c it sure as hell doesn't make sense to me.

Needless to say I'm super pissed right now and am taking my lunch break to go down to the dealer and raise hell. $400 is alot to throw away on an unused warranty and I am definitely NOT buying one again. Good thing I talked myself out of it with my new S.

Does anybody work for a Honda dealer that sells these things? I know they all go through diifferent companies, the one I used goes through Fidelity Warranty Services.
Old 03-30-2005, 06:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gotta read the fine print man. If what you described was true they would never offer extended warranties because they'd never make any money.

They offer extended warranties in the hopes you'll never use them, because that's how they make money.

All extended warranties deduct based on mileage any refund. There in business to make money, not to give it back.
Old 03-30-2005, 07:09 AM

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by stitos2k,Mar 30 2005, 07:13 AM
Gotta read the fine print man. If what you described was true they would never offer extended warranties because they'd never make any money.

They offer extended warranties in the hopes you'll never use them, because that's how they make money.

All extended warranties deduct based on mileage any refund. There in business to make money, not to give it back.
I'm sure I screwed myself on this one by not paying attention to the details on paper. It's just that I figured since the guy that sold it to me made the whole argument about being able to get my money back if I don't use, that the paper actually said that.
Old 03-30-2005, 07:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ask HardTopGuy, he knows about that stuff!!
Old 03-30-2005, 07:13 AM

Fidelity sucks ass! I bought their "Platinum" coverage because it says it covers Superchargers and Turbochargers and My car dropped a valve (not from an overrev) and the adjuster looked at my car and saw the Supercharger and walked away! My lawyer is going to have a field day with this one
Old 03-30-2005, 07:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You are not the first person they F#$%ed. I'm sure everyone here has... or knows of someone who was F#$%ed with at the dealership.

That warrantee is gold to them, they make their money on extras.....

sorry you got played.... but you got some... money back$$....

did you get in writing about your money back? your contract will hold up in court and what they say will have little on no value

just post their dealership name and let other not get F#$%ed the same way

better luck next time
Old 03-30-2005, 07:53 AM

Received 230 Likes on 171 Posts

And, that would be why you don't purchase the extended service contract when the car is new. It would run concurrent with the factory warranty.
Old 03-30-2005, 07:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ztec,Mar 30 2005, 12:13 PM
Fidelity sucks ass! I bought their "Platinum" coverage because it says it covers Superchargers and Turbochargers and My car dropped a valve (not from an overrev) and the adjuster looked at my car and saw the Supercharger and walked away! My lawyer is going to have a field day with this one
It covers superchargers and turbo chargers as long as its FACTORY equipment. You didn't read it right. If you add these things to a car that didn't come with it, you blew the warranty.

A good rule of thumb is that if it cancels out the factory warranty, it'll cancel an extended warranty.
Old 03-30-2005, 08:04 AM

My dealer lied to me.

I knew my dealers finance guy was lying to me about the extended warranty plan when I bought my car because his lips were moving. The reason for the hard-sell on the extended warranty plans at the end of the negotiation is because they make money for the dealership. Thank you for sharing your experience with the group. I hope it will save others from repeating your diasppointment when you discovered that salesmen make unrealistic promises to make a sale.
Old 03-30-2005, 08:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it's been less than a year can I still sell my extended warrantee back????? I'll take $1100 over nothing.

Quick Reply: My dealer lied to me