S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

my 24hrs with my boosted s2k from portland

Old 03-19-2012, 10:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WOW!!! I am sorry to hear and read about this. Glad you and your friend got out safely. Good luck with your insurance trying to resolve this issue. Just so sad to hear about this. I dont know if you can go back to the dealer that inspected the vehicle but it sounds like some type of negligence in their inspection. I dont know how that works. IMHO, I would never buy such a heavily modded car from a dealership that has no clue on what has actually been done to it internally. I would be more comfortable buying from the actual owner who installed the parts in so I can know what has been done to it. Even then, I would just choose not to buy such a heavily modded car. Anyways, good luck in getting this resolved and hope to see you in another S.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:42 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ChopsCA
Originally Posted by vividracing.com' timestamp='1331679562' post='21505971
Wow, that's insane! I'm glad you guys made it out ok.

I'm assuming the car was insured, correct?
yeah it's got insurance. we start the claim process tomorrow. i'm just hoping i get the purchase price of the car, and they cover the hotel rental car and flights home = ~$1500
Hopefully they pay out what you deserve. I figured it was insured since you probably had to get a loan for the car, but I've heard tons of stories about people buying a car and not transferring the insurance before driving it and either getting pulled over and being issued tickets, or having the vehicle damaged some how.

Originally Posted by HS2K.RLS
Who gets sued will be up to the insurance company if they pay you out. And before that can happen somebody has to forensically determine the source/cause of the fire to know whether the vendor modded negilgently or the dealer inspected negligently. What a shame - my thoughts go out to you for your loss, though I am happy for you that you were able to get out safely. Same thing happened to my Dad's Jag XJS but there it was oil that boiled over and up the dipstick tube onto the exhaust manifold. His was recoverable ($12000), your's is not!!! Don't let this deter you - this is NOT a congenital issue with the S2000 (at least un-modded ones)- Good hunting for a replacement.

Well there is that whole oil filter coming off and fires starting thing...
Old 03-20-2012, 11:24 AM

^Huh?? O.o
I'm a newbert. please explain.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hard to tell if this is even Greddy's problem. I have heard of a couple bone stock S's on here that had fuel lines crack and leak causing the same kind of aftermath and burned to the ground. We just assume that because it's modded that it automatically makes it junk. Now I wouldnt buy a modded car like the next guy, but I wouldn't point fingers yet...
Old 03-20-2012, 07:08 PM

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

That is rough. Sorry this happened to you.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:32 AM
Community Organizer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by vividracing.com
Hopefully they pay out what you deserve. I figured it was insured since you probably had to get a loan for the car, but I've heard tons of stories about people buying a car and not transferring the insurance before driving it and either getting pulled over and being issued tickets, or having the vehicle damaged some how.
Most insurance policies have clauses to protect you and give you several weeks of coverage when you purchase a new car to give you a chance to get to your agent and update the policy.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:25 PM

Wow sucks man. I hope everything works out.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:37 PM

Received 160 Likes on 122 Posts

Wow, I'm speechless. Sorry to hear man.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:11 PM

Received 80 Likes on 33 Posts

Man, that sucks.....

The pictures suggest there was a major fuel leak. When this gets investigated they will likely trace the fuel lines to see if there is an obvious origin. Even though the engine compartment resembles burnt toast, they should be able to figure out where the fuel came from. The metal components (especially the steel ones) will likely not melt.

If there's a ruptured or disconnected fuel line it will be obvious. Since the engine didn't malfunction before you smelled gas, that rules out several possibilities. My first hunch would be the fuel return line since you didn't notice any performance issues.

Maybe someone fixed or modified something right before they sold it and didn't tighten up something. If something came loose or disconnected or if a connection is stripped due to excessive torque, you have a valid lawsuit.

I'm not saying the turbo isn't at fault but I'd expect it to act funny or make some noises if it cracked or malfunctioned. My money would be on some sort of human error.

Good luck!
Old 03-22-2012, 08:34 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Glad you're okay; that's crazy!

Quick Reply: my 24hrs with my boosted s2k from portland