S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

MY 2001 with 1st-2nd grinds, post experience here.

Old 06-06-2001, 08:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had my car 2 weeks (1000miles on the clock) and have ground 3 times. Not happy about this. I thought this was taken care of. The worst experience was repeatable, 2 shifts in a row. Here is the circumstance: It was after a high speed mountain run, all 2nd and 3rd gear. Now problems there. At the top, I stopped waved good by to my buddy, and headed off on a straight away. The car was hot (weather was nice, but not really hot), the transmission was shifting great, always better when warmed up. I wound it up in 1st to 9,000 rpm go for 2nd and buzz! Grind, when straight to 3rd instead of trying again. I was not happy, thought I missed the shift, so I slowed to a stop, empty road, and started my take off again. No clutch slip, just a slow start then winding it up to 9K. Go for 2nd and grind again! WTF? Again, not happy. After tooling down this less technical hiway, things cooled off and the grind didn't happen again.

Am I due for the TSB 055? Will they do it for a 2001? Is this the sort of trouble others have had? I don't know if I could reproduce it for the dealer unless I took them out for 45 min and got the car nice and hot. Not sure what to do, I don't want the car to do this, don't want my new car having it's trany dropped, and at the same time don't want to continue chipping my gears. Would they fix gears damaged from the syncro problem?

Perplexed,
Andy

PS bayarea owners, anyone had the TSB work done at Larry Hopkins Honda? how was it?
Old 06-06-2001, 08:56 AM

Just got my car two weeks ago and I have had the same problem once already. I passed it off as a missed shift...but, I have never missed a shift before and didn't want to blame it on the car...but, maybe something worth looking into.
Old 06-06-2001, 09:13 AM

I have a MY2001. I have grinded the gears twice from 1st-2nd in 2000 miles. Both attributed to driver error, usually just too excited!!!!
Old 06-06-2001, 09:38 AM

I've got a 2001, and I've run into the 1-2 grind on occasion. I don't think they ever really got it fixed. It did it once, and the 2nd gear engagement is now accompanied by a 'clunk' or 'crunch.' I've taken it to a dealer, who says it's a "characteristic" of a triple synchornized transmission. I'm not buying it, so I'm going to take it to another dealer here in a few weeks.

So far, 1-2 has ground four times in 5k miles, all above 6k on the tach. There's no consistency to it either. I'm fanatical about my shift technique, and it doesn't seem to matter, sometimes it just happens. Additionally, 3rd has had a 'tink' to it (like the gears aren't really complety synced and jam a bit when engaging) ever since I bought the car. However, after about 30 minutes of driving, the tranny loosens up a bit and works much better. However, I'm fairly certain that all of my 2nd grinding occurred after the tranny was warm.

I dunno. What's the list price for a new S2k tranny?
Old 06-06-2001, 09:42 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by netwiz
[Additionally, 3rd has had a 'tink' to it (like the gears aren't really complety synced and jam a bit when engaging) ever since I bought the car.
Old 06-06-2001, 09:55 AM

Thankfully this has only happened to me once during the firs 1000 miles. Have 3k now and has not happened again. Have my fingers crossed that this should not be a problem anymore.
Old 06-06-2001, 10:00 AM

Don't worry fellas. I have a 2k1 and it did it a couple of times. I'm pretty sure it will go away. Just give it more time. I think it's how the car is made too.
Old 06-06-2001, 11:06 AM

I just got my entire tranny replaced cause the 1st 2nd messed up all my sycros and even some of the gears.. Well i got together with a couple of my other S2000 buddies and it did it again was up to 8500 had the cluth all the way in pulled into second GRIND. It does not grind if i go real slow but i know you can shift fast or you should be able to. I give up i think there is a prob with the Tranny end of story. Cause it did it again 20 min later i gave up.
Old 06-06-2001, 11:50 AM

I'm not mechanically inclined, so I don't know if this is true or not....but, the service department at the dealer I purchased my car from told me that the transmission takes about 7000 miles to seat properly. Could this be the cause of this?
Old 06-06-2001, 11:52 AM

I have a 2001 and mine has done it twice so far. Both times I am blameing on driver error. I was reving up to 8000+ and rushing the shift. I think I just didn't have the clutch all the way in. I have since gone to a high perf. driving school - readjusted my seat position - and have not had the problem since. Including 2 days of school with track time and skid pad excercises.

Quick Reply: MY 2001 with 1st-2nd grinds, post experience here.