S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

MY 04 Radio door !

Old 11-06-2003, 11:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I guess the term "fart can" is offensive to people with chronic flatulence

samkwon

Could you please list the other "urban auto terms" that are offensive. I am looking to be more PC these days and your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
Old 11-06-2003, 12:12 PM

I hate the MY04. Every change that they made is stupid. The MY00's are the best. Real roadsters have plastic rear windows.
Old 11-06-2003, 12:26 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by brushman
So I guess the term "fart can" is offensive to people with chronic flatulence

samkwon
Old 11-06-2003, 12:38 PM

Oh lord.. The old "rice" is a racist word debate again. To quote a good definition..
"The term "Rice-Boy" is meant to be a derogatory term. But not racially derogatory. Some people might say that regardless of what this disclaimer says, it makes Asians look bad. Well, I hate to break it to these people but asians are not the only people on this planet who eat rice. Everyone eats rice. White people eat rice. Black people eat rice. Native Americans? They eat rice. Europeans eat rice!! And, if you open your eyes, you might notice that a whole lot of the rice-boys out there aren't even asian! The "rice" really refers to their cars. It's not about their race, it's about their attitude!"

This offense to the term "ricey" is just plain silly.
Old 11-06-2003, 12:49 PM

Euclid - The term originated as a result of the increase in the importation of low cost, high fuel econony Asian cars to the US which resulted in negative, sometimes violent, reaction by Americans as an "Asian Invasion". The car context of the term "rice" has expanded to be also generally derogatory but its roots are racist toward Asians and is another example of many attitudes and statements that perpetuate stereotypes.

Why use the term in any context?

It has very little to do with who actually eats rice.
Old 11-06-2003, 02:29 PM
R11

The term has become generic. The only stereotype it perpetuates now is that of somebody with really bad taste....
Real roadsters have plastic rear windows.
Real roadsters don't even have tops to put a rear window in

ron
Old 11-06-2003, 05:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am white and I am getting the center console and the radio... WHITERICE :raisingfistintheair:
Old 11-06-2003, 05:52 PM

How did any of you ever get rice in that little stereo door anyways. Does it get messy? And what kind of rice do you put in your cars? I love white rice. Oops! I hope I did'nt offend white people.

But anyways, I don't even allow people to eat in my car much less shuff rice in the stereo door.
Old 11-06-2003, 06:03 PM

I understand the desire to not be 04 haters but it seems like when someone simply states they don't like something there seems to be an over reaction to it. I'm imagining this? BTW, I don't like the radio cover at all on the 04.

Also, is "rice" percieved as a racist term? Believe me, my biggest pet peeve is racism, I find it ignorant and disgusting but it seems like "riced out" isn't looked at as racist. Would like to know your thoughts, I don't use the term but surely don't want to slip if it is viewed as racist.
Old 11-06-2003, 07:25 PM

I would have to agree with samkwon. His definition is probably more accurate. It is not like Asian people created the term "rice". I would imagine that this term isn't seen is a positive in the Asian commmunity. My 2 cents.

Quick Reply: MY 04 Radio door !