S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

MY '04 Mild Gear Grind

Old 06-11-2004, 01:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MY '04 Mild Gear Grind

I've had my MY'04 for about six weeks/3000 miles. When my car's cold (meaning the first 30 minutes or so), there is a slight grind when shifting from first to second, and a bit more shifting from second to third; almost none when shifting from third to fourth. It is not audible, but I can feel a bit of grind. There is no grind when downshifting, and the grinding generally goes away after the transmission gets fully warm. I have read about the transmission issues in the earlier models. I brought the car in to the dealer, but they said (after driving it a bit) that there was nothing wrong.

Is there something wrong? Should there be better oil in the transmission?

Thanks for any light you can shed on this.
Old 06-11-2004, 01:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is not good - it takes a while for the box to feel perfect, but aside from a very slow first 1-2 shift, my 2004 is fine. That was true with MTF, and even truer with RedLine MTL.

Assuming you are pressing the clutch fully, I think a dealer ride along is warranted - your situation is not normal in my opinion.
Old 06-11-2004, 03:14 PM
R11

It sounds to me like you are just mistaking catchy/rough synchros for gear grind. If you were actually grinding at all, there would be NO mistaking it. Mine is the exact same way although it is masked somewhat by having moved to a heavier Ti shift knob and because I've just gotten in the habit of shifting slower until it's fully warm. That's quite a few miles in six weeks. Sounds like you're enjoying the car despite the catchy synchos .

ron
Old 06-11-2004, 03:34 PM

Sounds fine to me. My 2004 is a little rough when cold, but not NEARLY as rough as my 2001 on was all the time. I think you are OK.

Andy
Old 06-11-2004, 03:37 PM

Ron,

Thanks for this. I'll continue to monitor it; if it's catchy synchros, does that do any harm, and/or does it go away with time?

Yeah, I drive this car a lot. It's an absolute blast! How often do you spend a great deal of money on something, after doing a lot of research, and the results exceed your expectations? That's how I feel about this car.

--Mark
Old 06-11-2004, 04:04 PM
R11

No harm at all. Some people say theirs has diminished over time. Mine still does it as a regular course of operation. It does seem less catchy/clinky than it did at first, but the weather's also a lot warmer now than it was back in Dec when I first got the car too. It definitely smooths out the warmer the tranny/and oil gets.

ron
Old 06-11-2004, 05:03 PM

There is a similar post on this topic so you need to look there. I just got my MY04 a little over a month ago. I complained on this forum about the same experience you are having. This problem went away when I used a lighter touch on the stick. When going from first to second...just use a light tough with your two fingers pulling back with just a slight pull to the left. Also use a light tough going from 2nd to 3rd. Let me know if this helped.
Old 06-11-2004, 06:20 PM

I have had the same problem and its just something that comes along with the s2k.

I made a post about it earlier this week. Its nothing to worry about unless its actually grinding. then i would be concerned.

And like i said mine does the same thing but after about a half hour to an hour it shifts like butter
Old 06-11-2004, 09:54 PM

a notchy trans shift is normal accorging to honda s/b. It does improve after engine warmup. there is a problem if it grinds. then its time for the dealer
Old 06-12-2004, 06:02 AM

I had the same problem with mine but I noticed after the first track day it was totally gone. So I beleive as you get more miles on yours it will go away.

Quick Reply: MY '04 Mild Gear Grind