S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

MUGEN N-Zero SUSPENSION

Old 12-22-2002, 11:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MUGEN N-Zero SUSPENSION

For the owners with this suspension, how do you like it? How would you compare the ride and ease of adjustability?
Old 12-23-2002, 04:56 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Teeth rattling even on the softest setting. Highly not recommended if you are just looking into the suspension for the name and street driving. Adjustability is done with a little slot turn (for a lack of better term) on top. A very good choice for folks who want to track (auto-x, road race) their car. But, there are other systems out there that are cheaper in costs that can get close to the same job done.
Old 12-23-2002, 06:48 AM

My impressions concur with turbo_pwr. I just leave the fronts on my N0s at full damping and the rears about 2 1/2 from full, as I prefer control in the daily canyon drive over softer ride. Rears are set such as I have found this to decrease or eliminate power out oversteer. Height adjustability is a nice option, but of course other systems have that.

Plug and play with stiff springs matched to the dampers is a big plus, imo. Adjusting the rear damping, particularly the left, is a bit of a challenge with the gas fill unit generally in the way and needing to use a small screw driver, though other units might have that same difficulty.

All in all, I am very happy with the N0s as I enjoy the extra handling control I seem to have.
Old 12-23-2002, 06:50 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts

If I had to do it again...I'd do the same. Yes it's more expensive, and isn't the easiest, most simple suspension to adjust...but is of the highest quality I've seen in aftermarket "non-full-blown race" suspension.

My experiences on my Prelude include Konis with myriad of springs, Teins, AGX's with a couple of types of springs, and then finally settled with Tokico Blues with H&R Rce springs and one coil cut.

On the S2000, I've only needed to try the Mugen's. One try, found the keeper. No, I don't track or auto-x....as much as I want to (in fact this past summer, it was nothing but street driving). Watch out for me next summer though!

BTW, for daily driving the N0's are set to full soft at all corners. When doing fun runs, the fronts are set to either full hard, or one turn from full hard. The rears are set 2 turns from full soft.
Old 12-23-2002, 06:52 AM

Hello All-

Teeth rattling? Ya gotta be kidding me! On the softest setting the Mugen N-0 suspension actually rides softer than the factory set up. They will ride harsh if you chose to raise and lower the car by using the spring perches instead of adjusting the length of the shock. If you adjusted the spring perches too far up, chances are you have way too much pre-load on the spring causing a harsh ride.

IMHO this is the best overall street/track suspension you can buy- and we have tested them all.......

Happy Holidays!

Scott
Old 12-23-2002, 07:36 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Scott if you say so. Maybe in Wisconsin it's hard to tell the difference? But in NYC I find the ride harsher then stock even on the softest setting. I think the unit is high quality don't get me wrong. I'll have to check on the spring perch settings you mentioned this might be my problem.
Old 12-23-2002, 08:24 AM

With the weather we have here in Wisconsin I would not say we have anything close a smooth roads

Serioulsy, check on the pre-load. I think you will be surprised at how well the Mugen N-O kit can ride when properly setup.

Cheers!

Scott
Old 12-23-2002, 10:31 AM

Hey guys, thanks for the feedback. Good info.

Scott, how easy is it to adjust the length of the shock instead of the spring perch? In other words, it sounds like you're saying that you can adjust the height both ways but in order to retain the softer ride, you need to adjust the length and not the spring perch.

Prolene, if it's ok with you, I might just have to get a ride from you the next time we meet.
Old 12-23-2002, 10:37 AM

Changing the shock body length is no big deal. Simply loosen the retaining ring and screw the lower mount up to lower the car or un-screw it to raise the car.

Simple Stuff!

Cheers!

Soctt
Old 12-23-2002, 12:12 PM

Originally posted by SEVNT4
Prolene, if it's ok with you, I might just have to get a ride from you the next time we meet.
Be glad to!

Quick Reply: MUGEN N-Zero SUSPENSION