S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Mugen Intake

Old 05-22-2007, 08:29 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whenever I get confused, I go here and solve my problems
dragonfly tattoo
dragonfly tattoo design
Old 05-22-2007, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by GrandMasterKhan,May 22 2007, 11:27 AM
the mugen intake is slightly louder than stock. Throaty but nothing like a cai. Which i like because it doesnt grab alot of attention like my aem did. That means i can vtec the car on public roads without every cop on the block perking up to see whats racing down the street.

The midrange power is definilty improved, especially pre-vtec. High end hp is the same if not mildy improved. Oh yes, and NO heatsoak! BIG plus.
Are there low-end torque gains?

-Will
Old 05-22-2007, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by KstreetDC,May 22 2007, 09:39 AM
Are there low-end torque gains?

-Will
I would say that there are but the Mugen does not do much untill the car gets going, the up side to J's is better throttle response do to the intake chamber (not to mention its cheaper).

Neither intake should show much if anything on a dyno (note: Shop fans dont simulate driving conditions ) these are ram air intakes and do not show gains when the car is standing still. Think of it as a snorkal in the stock intake box but in these cases the box is smothed out and directs the air more efficiently and reduces intake air temps do to drawing air from outside the mengine bay.

I would recommend the intake from E-autosports (available in group by section under CF cold air intake ) it is very similiar to the Mugen peice, but its about 1000.00 dollars cheaper , I have it on my car and absolutely it! There is also one for sale in the so cal forums.

To everyone saying its just bling, it makes no power, etc.. etc.. Have any of you used it??? Or are you just making things up based on your on theory of what intakes work and which ones dont?
Old 05-22-2007, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by neveronlines2k,May 22 2007, 01:54 PM
I would say that there are but the Mugen does not do much untill the car gets going, the up side to J's is better throttle response do to the intake chamber.

Neither intake should show much if anything on a dyno (note: Shop fans dont simulate driving conditions ) these are ram air intakes and do not show gains when the car is standing still. Think of it as a snorkal in the stock intake box but in these cases the box is smothed out and directs the air more efficiently

I would recommend the intake from E-autosports it is very similiar to the Mugen peice, but its about 1000.00 dollars cheaper , I have it on my car and absolutely it! There is also one for sale in the so cal forums.

To everyone saying its just bling, it makes no power, etc.. etc.. Have any of you used it??? Or are you just making things up based on your on theory of what intakes work and which ones dont?
Thanks - I was running the J's CF cooling plate, coupled with a AFE filter, and gutted airbox, so I fully understand that there is no way to dyno it. Which intake do you think is better - J's or Mugen?

-Will
Old 05-22-2007, 10:00 AM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah... Mugen is all about the BLING, but if that's what you're looking for, then go for it. If you want LOUD and a good performance enhancement, the K&N FIPK II is the perfect choice and you don't have to worry about Hydro-Lock.

Andre
Old 05-22-2007, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by KstreetDC,May 22 2007, 09:58 AM
Thanks - I was running the J's CF cooling plate, coupled with a AFE filter, and gutted airbox, so I fully understand that there is no way to dyno it. Which intake do you think is better - J's or Mugen?

-Will
All around I would say J's do to the better throttle response. When the car is up to speed they are almost identicle.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by neveronlines2k,May 22 2007, 02:00 PM
All around I would say J's do to the better throttle response. When the car is up to speed they are almost identicle.
Thanks for the info - I am a JDM whore, so K&N is a no go for me
Old 05-22-2007, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by 8kGoodENuff,May 22 2007, 10:00 AM
Yeah... Mugen is all about the BLING, but if that's what you're looking for, then go for it. If you want LOUD and a good performance enhancement, the K&N FIPK II is the perfect choice.

Andre
Not true I just sold my FIPK and the only thing that was better was throttle response, since switching to the Mugen style the car feels much better at speed than with the FIPK, not to mention in stop and go traffic (Cali issue ) the K&N tends to bog due to air temps under the hood increasing when the car is not moving. Switching to a vented hood could fix that a little bit though .
Old 05-22-2007, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by KstreetDC,May 22 2007, 10:06 AM
Thanks for the info - I am a JDM whore, so K&N is a no go for me
Anytime , Cutting the hood is really not that big a deal either. If you use a plug in dremel and have plenty of attachments you should be done in an hour or so There are threads around with a template for where to cut and it worked perfectly. I would also recommend getting some truck black door liner to put around the cut and make it look cleen
Old 05-22-2007, 10:21 AM

Becareful buying the J's as I have seen several people say it did not fit correctly even after cutting the hood.

Quick Reply: Mugen Intake