S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Motorcycle oil V.S. Car oil?

Old 04-14-2003, 07:02 PM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Motorcycle oil V.S. Car oil?

Well I changed the oil in my CBR today with an Castrol R4 and it said on the pack -more power at higher RPM.And its good trust me.
Then I thought of our cars,my car,And I went thinking,its our car a bike on four wheels?
Certainly is.And which is better?Bike or Car oil.
I hope there is an answer from you oil maniacs out there.
And if this subject has been up before I am sorry.Maybe a link then.
But remember that the oil in the bike is also used for lubing the gears.
Thanks for reading,
Stefce.
Old 04-14-2003, 07:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Smart thought. I'm not a oil maniac, but I have refilled my S -due to lack of any other - with high performance motorcycle oil designed for high reving inline 4 cylinder engines.
Old 04-14-2003, 08:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by timbean
Smart thought. I'm not a oil maniac, but I have refilled my S -due to lack of any other - with high performance motorcycle oil designed for high reving inline 4 cylinder engines.
I don't think that motorcycle specific oils will hurt the S2000's engine. Motorcycle oils use different additives because most motorcycles use the same oil supply for the engine and the transmission. That also included a wet clutch. Motorcycle oils have to contend, not only with the high reving engines, but also with the heavy sheer forces involved in lubricating the gears in the transmission but they can't adversly effect the clutch that's running in the same oil too. All three of these parts (engine, transmission, clutch) have different lubrication needs. Unfortunately, what's good for the engine isn't necessarily good for the transmission. It's certainly the case that what's good for the engine and transmission isn't going to be good for the clutch and vice versa.

I bought a 1993 Goldwing new. About that time, many Wing riders were using Mobil 1 synthetic oils. After a while, Honda came out and stated that automotive oils like Mobile 1 were not to be used because it was causing clutch slipping problems and they were no longer going to warrantee clutch issues if the bike had been using Mobile 1. I used Mobil 1 in my bike for a while and never had any problems but I also rarely ran the bike hard or under a heavy load. Most of the folks I talked to that had had clutch problem rode two up most of the time and pulled a trailer. Either way, I quite using the Mobile 1 and it really didn't make any difference.

My point is that while motorcycle specific oils probably won't hurt anything in the S2000, they're not really formulated with autos in mind. If you want to spend the extra money, the "top" brand motorcycle oils can be as high as $6 to $7 a quart, knock yourself out. Personally, I don't think you'll be getting any increase in protection that's in line with the extra cash spent.

FWIW,
Drive Safe,
Steve R.
Old 04-15-2003, 12:44 AM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

You got a point there,but i still think what happends with the oil on 16000Rpm on a bike and the rpm's are still in white?
Stefce.