S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

MONTE CARLO BLUE: Argument I am having with a friend...WHY WHY WHY?

Old 08-18-2003, 12:27 AM

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
Default MONTE CARLO BLUE: Argument I am having with a friend...WHY WHY WHY?

I am having an argument with my friend as to why the U.S. of A does not receive the Monte Carlo Blue, knowing that all S2000's are built at the same facility with equal access to the paint. What is the reason? What do you guys think, and also does please state whether it is your opinion or whether you know the information for a fact. THANKS!!!
Old 08-18-2003, 01:47 AM

Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts

Marketing.

Granted, I don't have access the the actual Honda data, but I'm sure Honda has reams of market research showing the colors they sell the S2000 in here are the most popular colors of the ones available. U.S. dealers also like dealing with as few colors as possible for inventory reasons, so in a nutshell there you go...
Old 08-18-2003, 02:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with BillK. Marketing reasons!

For example, here in Portugal we have MC blue! But we don't have White GP
Old 08-18-2003, 04:17 AM

Same reason you can have two choices in silver, but no imola orange.
Old 08-18-2003, 04:27 AM

Silver is the most popular color in the U.S. They can afford to try two variations. Blue on the other hand isn't nearly as popular, so they roll with the top colors from their marketing strategy.
Old 08-18-2003, 04:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is all about the demographics and how the marketing people interpret them, for whatever lame reason they believe Monte Carlo Blue would not sell well here.

And jyeung528, about the only conclusion you can draw from this is that there are some really dumb marketing people employed by Honda...
Old 08-18-2003, 05:00 AM

American Honda is stupid. Period.
Old 08-18-2003, 06:07 AM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think they are waiting to release a Special Edition model with Monte Carlo Blue. Just so dealers can add a mark-up to the price.
Old 08-18-2003, 06:36 AM

Most want what they can't have. It might appear that Monte Carlo blue would be a more popular choice than suzuka but obviously they did their research and discovered on these shores anyway, it wasn't. Honda is in the business of selling cars. I highly doubt they would purposely choose a color over another one if it meant half the sales.
Count me as one of the those who does not find the Monte Carlo blue exterior particularly appealing. I would have taken the Suzuka over it without hesitation.
As for imola orange, these kind of paint jobs don't wear well over time. They get dated extremely quickly. This explains why silver, black, white, red are always the first choices in sportscars. These "gimic" paint jobs have a short shelf life. For instance, you don't see many orange 350z's because most people don't like the color, at least that's what the sales managers have been telling me.
Old 08-18-2003, 07:15 AM

I would have chosen the monte carlo blue over any other color. My first choice would be

1. MC Blue
2. Yellow
3. Red
4. Silver

I have the silver, but it turned out to be pretty nice. I havent seen the silver til the moment I picked it up from the dealer and I liked it. I guess silver is OK.. but I still want the blue..

Quick Reply: MONTE CARLO BLUE: Argument I am having with a friend...WHY WHY WHY?