S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Mistaken identity again....

Old 08-29-2001, 08:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last night, my wife and I were cruising down a local road on the way to one of our typical "date night" dinner spots and I was nabbed for excessive speed. While they were writing out the ticket, out of no-where the cops both grab their guns and one puts it in my face and commands me out of the car. I get out and they start yelling at my wife to do the same. They cuff us and put us in the back of their cars not telling us much other than the car was stolen. After about a half an hour, they figure out that they had made a mistake and let us go. I basically left out a large majority of details, but I can tell you that I did figure out why they made the mistake. The damn junior cop, who happened to be the one who put the gun in both my face and my wife's, mis-read the VIN#. The thing that really gets me is, when he pulled the gun on my wife and I, as the other cop was cuffing my wife, he comes over to cuff me. This freaking little punk who can't read was shaking like a freakin leaf....he couldn't even speak! Here I was, just having a gun put in my face and my wife's face, and he is ten times more scared than I was. Obviously this puke is not ready for the responsibility of police-work.

The worst part of all is that 4 years ago, my wife was robbed at gun-point where she worked and, not only was she shaking for the rest of the night, she is now having serious flash-back's. Is there anything I can do legally to at the very least, get someone reprimanded. Oh...the other thing is, this occurred on federal property, Camp Parks to be exact.

Anyone know what recourse I might have?
Old 08-29-2001, 08:09 AM

Interesting that it occured on Federal property... You might have some recourse there..dunno though-- I'm not a lawyer.

Did you still get the ticket after all that!? And for how fast?

-- Aaron
Old 08-29-2001, 08:21 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by amartin
[B]Interesting that it occured on Federal property... You might have some recourse there..dunno though-- I'm not a lawyer.

Did you still get the ticket after all that!?
Old 08-29-2001, 08:28 AM
Tox

IMO, the only thing worse than having a person point a gun at you is having a scared person point a gun at you.

If this happened to me, I'd be on the phone with my lawyer the next morning exploring options. Police departments just hate it when a citizen's lawyer starts on them, especially publically, and you can bet those yahoos would feel some pressure.

Good luck, and keep us posted.
Old 08-29-2001, 08:44 AM

lawyer lawyer lawyer
Old 08-29-2001, 08:54 AM

My thoughts like everyone else's call a lawyer they will probably know of something you can do.
Old 08-29-2001, 08:55 AM

You got the ticket to prevent your having any recourse.

In another thread, I suggested that cops under 25 shouldn't be allowed to ride alone. Apparently, this would not be enough.
Old 08-29-2001, 10:12 AM

Can't believe that happened to you, and all from a stupid rookie mistake. I'd have to agree with others on the board. Talking to a lawyer would be beneficial.
Old 08-29-2001, 10:39 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Getting the ticket can be a good thing. It is a record of the encounter and you have the name of the officer.

I had the same kind of thing happen to me a little over a year ago in Sacramento. But with a gun pointed at me I wasn't thinking straight enough to get either of the officers names. And I didn't get a ticket for anything (because I didn't do anything).

When they realized they had the wrong guy... they jumped in their car and took off. Left me standing on the side of the road with all the contents of my car and my pockets scattered about without ever saying, "sorry... thank you.." anything.

A$$ Holes!

I will NEVER get out of my car for a cop again.
Old 08-29-2001, 10:55 AM

i say call a lawyer....my sister is one and with her and most lawyers around here the initial consultation is free. so it won't hurt to call and see if you case holds water.

Quick Reply: Mistaken identity again....