S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Me and Other Drivers - (Warning, a bit if a rave)

Old 08-31-2001, 09:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Me and Other Drivers - (Warning, a bit if a rave)

Since I got my S 2000 I have noticed a couple of changes in my attitude towards driving.
Before, when I owned my MR2, I spent the last few years driving to work in the usual heavy morning traffic where the chances to go over about 80 kilometers per hour were few and far between. There are always a ready supply of drivers who feel they may cause the wrath of God should they exceed the speed limit by any amount and a few who start to shake and tremble when they get within ten K of the magic figure. Anyway as much as I loved my MR2 it was just a neat way to spend 25 minutes going to work.
Now when I got the S 2000 I looked at another way to get to work which involves a twisty narrow country road, mostly 2nd/3rd gear stuff followed by about 15 minutes of slightly more open road but with the same up hill and down dale twistyness where 120 kph is possible in places. So now my ride to work is the highlight of my day and without driving like an escaped mental patient is actually a couple of minutes quicker. However every now and then some other driver gets to the start of the road and I have to spend the next 15 minutes sitting at around 80kph with absolutely zero chance to pass (unless one has a death wish). When this happens I just think "nevermind, tomorrow is another day" and I will hopefully have the road to myself. Except yesterday when as I approached the corner there waiting to make a turn into the road of my dreams was a Mazda 323. I chopped it down a cog and floored it to the corner and made it before the 323 crossed the centerline. As a result,as the Mazda quickly became a dot in my rear mirror I had a brilliant drive to work. My point is I never would have done this in any other car. No other car gives me such a thrill. I know the other guys have as much right to road as me but I just kind of get a bit possessive when it comes to having a great ride compared with a so-so one.
How do guys feel when slowed by "normal" traffic?
Old 09-01-2001, 01:09 AM

Unfortunately, around here my biggest problem isn't slower traffic, but SUVs in my rear view going about twenty over wanting to get by. They seem to have a "Move over or die!" attitude.
Old 09-01-2001, 03:35 AM

You're lucky...
my "commute" is about 400meters long, in the middle of one of the busyest towns in the world. From my flat to my office it takes me :
- walking = 4 minutes
- skateboarding = 2 minutes
- driving = 19 seconds

The nearest exiting road I know is about 800kms away in the french alps...
Old 09-01-2001, 06:17 AM

Originally posted by le car
You're lucky...
my "commute" is about 400meters long, in the middle of one of the busyest towns in the world. From my flat to my office it takes me :
- walking = 4 minutes
- driving = 19 seconds

I have you beat, my commute is about 150 yards long. From house to work takes me:
-walking = < 2 minutes
-skateboarding = notachance
-driving = never, leave her in the garage
Old 09-01-2001, 11:36 PM

Commuting is the bain of our lives. My previous job had me starting at 7am and 25 miles from home. Half freeway and half built up city roads. In the 6 years I worked there, it was a lesson in how fast a city grows. By the time I quit I was leaving 10 minutes earlier to arrive at the same time (after a 55 min drive) and the number of traffic signals doubled. The job I got now only takes half the time and with the new route is usually a buzz in the morning. After work is not so hot as there is a bit more traffic using it. Still it is better than the old route with it's stop start traffic lights and bumper to bumper traffic.
Old 09-02-2001, 04:47 AM

Originally posted by le car
You're lucky...
- walking = 4 minutes
- driving = 19 seconds

Don't you believe it. In the UK there are some brilliant C and D class roads with hedgerows and all. Great fun if you don't mind punting around blind corners on roads only wide enough for one way traffic.
Old 09-02-2001, 07:21 AM

I have done the same- previously in a sedan I just motored along like a lemming... now I leave 10 minutes earlier and take two different sets of twisties to get to work, followed by a long, flat bridge. We have some pretty cool cars at my office (NZX, two porsche twins, a Modena, 1 Saleen, 7 Vettes and a Prowler) and we often end up on the Bridge at the same time, which makes for some fun "racing" if others take the bait.

No more sedans for me... ever.
Old 09-04-2001, 12:45 PM

William,

I think I got you beat. My commute is probably 50 feet. Wake up, and go into the other room.

Originally posted by William

I have you beat, my commute is about 150 yards long. From house to work takes me:
-walking = < 2 minutes
-skateboarding = notachance
-driving = never, leave her in the garage